Jul 1, 2022
Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good morning All!
Newbie here who isn't a mathlete. Background: moved into the family home with a vintage above ground pool. No one left in the family can tell me how many gallons the pool holds. And I've received different answers from two pool store techs.
Finally have blue and not seafoam green colored water, but want to make sure I'm heading in the right direction (Taylor test kit should be delivered any day now).

It's a 21 foot (that I measured) round, 4 ft deep pool. Google math tells me just over 10K gallons - is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your help! I've taken so many notes, I feel like I'm back in school. 😎

Kelly

Radius (half of diameter) X Radius X 3.14 × height X 7.481 gallons per cubic foot.

10,359 perfectly full at 4 ft, not accounting for fluctuation due to evaporation/rain.

Radius (half of diameter) X Radius X 3.14 × height X 7.481 gallons per cubic foot.

10,359 perfectly full at 4 ft, not accounting for fluctuation due to evaporation/rain.
Thank you!!

So if I visit a pool store, do I tell them 10K gallons? Obviously it's not filled to capacity. Am I over thinking this?

Hi and welcome! No need to be a mathlete here - TFP makes is so simple to keep your pool stunningly clear. You can certainly delve into the Deep End of the chemistry but once you understand the basics, it really is easy.
Great job on getting a good test kit.
Have you downloaded the PoolMath app? Once you have that, based on 10,000 gallons (or 10,359) add 5ppm of liquid chlorine every day until you get your kit so that you can keep the blue from getting algae.
Also, fill out your signature with your pool specifics, equipment details, etc.

Reactions: Newdude
Are the walls 4' high or is the water level 4'? It probably has 48" walls if its old. If the water is 42" deep to the middle of the skimmer you have a 9k pool. If the water is 48" to the middle of the skimmer you 10.4k

Reactions: Newdude
So if I visit a pool store,
Let's not do that.

If you want to see how thousands of us keep a Trouble Free Poll with simple products, that's super easy, stick around, read some articles, and ask questions. Pool store advice and the TFP protocols are very different. Pool stores give bad data, bad decisions are made, and bad products are put into pools. Its a viscous cycle many here help unsuspecting pool owners get out of.

Hi and welcome! No need to be a mathlete here - TFP makes is so simple to keep your pool stunningly clear. You can certainly delve into the Deep End of the chemistry but once you understand the basics, it really is easy.
Great job on getting a good test kit.
Have you downloaded the PoolMath app? Once you have that, based on 10,000 gallons (or 10,359) add 5ppm of liquid chlorine every day until you get your kit so that you can keep the blue from getting algae.
Also, fill out your signature with your pool specifics, equipment details, etc.
Yes, I downloaded the app, and many thanks for your help!
I do have to finish the signature part...

Are the walls 4' high or is the water level 4'? It probably has 48" walls if its old. If the water is 42" deep to the middle of the skimmer you have a 9k pool. If the water is 48" to the middle of the skimmer you 10.4k
Thank you for your help! I'm going with 9K as the pool was built in the early 80's, (as I said, vintage 😎) but I will certainly measure it to be sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.