Pool shed floor ideas

RickinMA

Gold Supporter
Aug 2, 2017
MA
Having a pool shed built. It will be open in the front like a pavilion but the back 16'x6' will be closed in with plywood and vinyl siding. Half with be storage and half will be pool toys/changing area.
Would you just paint the new plywood floor with some anti slip addative or put down see vinyl flooring?
It won't be finished space but it isn't a big area either so cost is minimal. Thoughts?

Marine grade ply wood uses an adhesive better suited for repeated soaking in water. Regular ply wood will delaminate when soaked in water regularly.

If your only choice is plain plywood apply a couple coats of a high quality oil based penetrating water sealer. Something like a transparent deck stain would also be ok. You want to prevent the water on the surface from getting into the layers of the ply wood plain old paint isn't up that job. It will need recoating every couple of years depending on it's use.

You will regret using plywood, marine or otherwise. Especially if it is tucked under the walls, as is typically done. It's not going to withstand the onslaught of water from weather and users. A concrete slab is what will last. Second to that, maybe a trex-type deck. Pavers might be a solution, but you'll need to put a footing under the walls.

Otherwise, you'll be ripping up that rotted, swollen plywood in a few years...

My shed has painted (aqua!) plywood. It has lasted ok for 7 years but the paint is starting to chip off. Skippy says we'll be re-building this shed bit by bit.

I'd go with vinyl sheet flooring just to make it easy to sweep out. Outdoor carpet would be a disaster with dirt held into the fibers.

Maddie :flower:

My shed has painted (aqua!) plywood. It has lasted ok for 7 years but the paint is starting to chip off. Skippy says we'll be re-building this shed bit by bit.

I'd go with vinyl sheet flooring just to make it easy to sweep out. Outdoor carpet would be a disaster with dirt held into the fibers.

Maddie :flower:

Is your shed open to weather on one side? Or a four-sided enclosure? OP's plan is to leave one whole side open, and I think that's why the plywood is going to be a problem, painted or otherwise...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry for the confusion. The 6x16 area will be fully enclosed - like a normal shed where kids might occasionally change or throw pool toys. The overall covered area is bigger but this small area is a pretty normal shed.
Epoxy paint or sheet vinylay be the way to go

Oh, totally different answer then! Tile would be nice, but if on a budget, I'd use vinyl. Waterproof, easy to clean, lots of colors and styles. Lightly caulked at the wall (as you put down the moulding). That'll seal the flooring and help to keep water off the underlayment.

Yea it sounded like the plywood was going to be open to the weather.

Yea vinyl flooring is cheap and easy and like dirk said caulk the edges where the wall meets the floor so the base of the wall doesn't rot out. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation so that you don't get a damp mildew problem.

Since concrete is probably out of the question...

Lay some vinyl flooring; something with a raised pattern; faux tile or something, for traction when wet. And possibly throw a slight pitch into the floor joists, so the water drains rather than puddles.

And when the siding goes on, leave a gap anywhere from 2" to 6" between the floor and the walls. Even just a couple louvered vents. Get some ventilation down low.

I installed some Home Depot Vinyl Plank flooring. Traffic Master Allure.

It has an edge that is sticky and you just lay it down. Each piece is 6" x 36"
Apply over concrete or plywood. Plywood would be best.

Its waterproof, looks pretty good and is easy to install and keep clean with water and kids.
Cheap enough that you could install and rip out replace it another day.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Allure-6-in-x-36-in-Khaki-Oak-Luxury-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring-24-sq-ft-case-185312/206934038

I installed some Home Depot Vinyl Plank flooring. Traffic Master Allure.

It has an edge that is sticky and you just lay it down. Each piece is 6" x 36"
Apply over concrete or plywood. Plywood would be best.

Its waterproof, looks pretty good and is easy to install and keep clean with water and kids.
Cheap enough that you could install and rip out replace it another day.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Traffic...Plank-Flooring-24-sq-ft-case-185312/206934038

Ooh, not sure I would trust all the seams. I can see how each piece would be waterproof, but not the seams. I was suggesting "old school" vinyl: one large seamless sheet, caulked to the walls. A giant plastic bowl.

For my pool storage box (wooden and huge) I used a couple of cans of "Flex Seal" on the inside...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.