Pool return & skimmer placement

puppycrack

Bronze Supporter
May 10, 2017
Rochester, NY
I just pulled the trigger on an IG 18x36 rectangular pool. The pool will have double main drains and 2 skimmers (all independently plumbed 2"), and 3 returns (independently plumbed 1.5"), and another return w/ jets in the lounge area on the long end of the pool. Pump is an Intelliflow, with a 420 sq ft cartridge filter. The attached image shows the layout, with the prevailing wind direction coming from mostly southwest.

Where would you guys recommend placing the skimmers and returns? I was originally thinking of putting one return in the stairs, and 2 returns on the long end of the pool closest to the house, and the skimmers opposite the returns on the other long end.

However, the PB said this was NOT a good setup, as I would end up with 2 clear paths between return & skimmer, and in between would be dirty. He recommended putting a return to the right of the stairs, and a skimmer to the left of the stairs, and on the opposite short end, a skimmer on the right side, and a return on the left. He said this would provide a circular circulation w/in the pool. I have never seen a setup like this, and am hesitant this is the optimal setup.

I've also considered putting all returns on the short end with the stairs, and the 2 returns on the other short end of the pool, since this is the prevailing wind direction. I'm just not sure they will push through 36' of pool.

Any pointers, help, or guidance would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

- pc

IMG_0823.jpg

All pools need circulation. You will want the clean fresh return water to not immediately dump into a skimmer. A pool that size will need 4 returns at minimum. I am not a pro though, others may have better insight.

pdCdPex.jpg

Thanks for the reply. The PB seems to think that the # of returns is a little excessive, especially all independently plumbed. I disagree, hence the plumbing setup as it is. It doesn't seem that an 18x36 pool is exceptionally large, and I am having trouble wrapping my head around four returns for this size pool. While I don't mean to diminish you reply, can any of the pros and/or builders weigh in on a good setup?

Thanks,
-pc

While I realize the greater the number of returns the better, there would be a diminishing point of return, no? Also, I thought it was best to put the skimmers on the down-wind side of the pool, which in my case, would be on the short side of the deep end. But most posts I see on this site, and most pictures of rectangular pools show them on the pool sides; and I've never really seen them on the short ends of a pool.

Also, I've seen talk of "deep returns", where I think the idea is to get better circulation in the deep end. Would I add yet another return for that? I'm trying to come up with a well engineered pool, and this site has been an invaluable resource for me thus far! I just can't figure out where and how many on the skimmer/returns.

Also, to update, I think we're going to a 20x40x8ft deep pool size, if that makes a difference in return/skimmer location, or # of skimmers/returns.

Thanks again for any and all insight!

- pc

Here is the best I came up with, after reading many posts on this site, and taking input from commenters on this thread. This is for a 20x40 pool w/ an 8' deep end in Rochester, NY. The "deep return" would probably be placed at the standard height, and pointed down; unless there would be good reason to place it deeper in the pool. Does this look like a good setup? Are the skimmers and returns going to work optimally? Do I need more returns? Three suction lines are independently run (main drains, 2x skimmers), and all returns lines will be independently run as well using 1.5". Jets in the love seat will only be on if the pool is in use. Thank you all for your input!

Regards,
- pc

skimmers_returns.jpg

Here is the best I came up with, after reading many posts on this site, and taking input from commenters on this thread. This is for a 20x40 pool w/ an 8' deep end in Rochester, NY. The "deep return" would probably be placed at the standard height, and pointed down; unless there would be good reason to place it deeper in the pool. Does this look like a good setup? Are the skimmers and returns going to work optimally? Do I need more returns? Three suction lines are independently run (main drains, 2x skimmers), and all returns lines will be independently run as well using 1.5". Jets in the love seat will only be on if the pool is in use. Thank you all for your input!

Regards,
- pc

View attachment 68002
Did you end up placing your skimmers and returns as you showed. How is it working if so? I’m about to do a 20x40 . My wind direction is a bit different and was going to go with 4 returns with the direction of the wind and 2 skimmers opposite

For the tanning ledge I would think about having a second spillway that will face the ledge then move the return line over closer to the left corner , this would improve the water movement on that size of ledge. With the current layout of the single return line on the one side next to the spa you run a chance of having a dead circulation spot on the opposite corner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.