pool resurfacing question

Jul 6, 2016
Gainesville, FL
my current marcite finish is peeling off- which means it is not adhered to the pool anymore. If they just put a new layer on top of it, would it not come off together? or would they grind away the existing marcite before resurfacing? (I don't think that would be common practice)

Many will tell you that a full chip out is best (remove all the old Marcite), but it is much more expensive.

Down in Central Florida where I'm located it is common to only chip out areas that are not bonded and chip around the tiles, and plumbing to blend in the edges.

Once the pool is drained. They should tap a hammer or drag a chain across the old marcite. Spots that area not adhered will have a distinct "hollow" sound. These are areas that will be removed if going the second cheaper method.

It depends on what peeling off means. If the plaster has delaminated from the gunite creating a hollow spot then chipping out is advised. If the peeling is just the top cream layer of plaster more like "spalling" or "flaking" there are multiple industry approved methods. When done properly results should be equal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.