Pool resurface with wet edge - pitted and uneven?

Apr 21, 2017
Tampa
Hey guys,
New to this forum, I sincerely appreciate any advice.

Long story short, we've had a pretty pleasant experience overall with the renovation company so far - the pool was drained and waterblasted last Friday (to remove the old epoxy paint surface), new waterline tile was put on Saturday and looks excellent.

Plaster guys showed up about 8am this morning...came home from work today and let the hose keep running to fill her back up. I went out to marvel at my brand new pool surface this evening with the floodlight on, and noticed actually quite a few areas where the surface has pits and just general unevenness. Photo album: Pool woes - Album on Imgur

The company required payment before the work was done (half up front, half when the plaster guys showed up) so unfortunately we've already paid...though I can pay 30 bucks to put a stop order on the check which I've considered.

Is this normal or poor workmanship? The swirling around the middle seems like it could go away, but what about the deep end chunk & the steps? Thoughts? Thank you so much in advance for any advice I get!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to say all this in my first to you but that not a good job, and it's sub par for a company that installs WetEdge. More sorry to say, I wouldn't be pleased with it, and it isn't normal. If it were me, I would do my best to work something out with the installer. I don't know what ramifications you would face stopping the payment, but you should seek some advice on that from someone that does. The chips and dents everywhere, and clumps around the drain will never go away, and will always look poor. Sorry I don't have a better opinion about it, I really am. I would get in touch with them immediately and see what you can do to resolve it.

Hey, I really appreciate the quick reply. This is what I suspected, yes it is quite unfortunate, luckily the reno company is open on Saturday and I will be speaking with my guy tomorrow morning (I may even drive to the office).

I will contact my bank tomorrow to inquire about a stop payment after I read all the fine-print in the reno contract.

Hey, I really appreciate the quick reply. This is what I suspected, yes it is quite unfortunate, luckily the reno company is open on Saturday and I will be speaking with my guy tomorrow morning (I may even drive to the office).

I will contact my bank tomorrow to inquire about a stop payment after I read all the fine-print in the reno contract.

Patrick is absolutely right, that is sub-standard work.

However, if I were you, I would drive to the renovation company tomorrow and ask to see the owner or someone high up on the food chain. Show them the pictures, tell them you are absolutely unsatisfied with the work performed and respectfully ask them how they are going to fix it. Give them the opportunity to correct the mistake. If they are a reputable business, they will want to make you a happy customer.

However, if they blow you off or try to tell you it will get better with time, I would not hesitate to pull out the "stop check" card on them and let them know the final payment will be held until you are satisfied that your concerns are answered. They may try to scare you with a threat of a Mechanic's Lien on your property but, in Florida, contractors have to follow very specific rules for doing that. And, should they actually follow through on the lien threat, once your file a "Notice of Contest", they have only 60 days to file a full lawsuit against you or else the lien becomes invalid. Even without filing the "Notice of Contest", the contractor has to file a lawsuit within a year or else the lien is extinguished. You can read more about it here - OH NO! A LIEN IS RECORDED! WHAT ARE SOME OF MY OPTIONS? by David Adelstein and here Understanding the Operation and Enforcement of the Florida Construction Lien Law

Obviously the above should be treated as an option of last resort and, if you get close to pulling a "Stop payment" on them, I would get a lawyer lined up first. In fact, if you have any access to legal services (sometimes people have legal insurance or it's offered as a benefit through their employers), I would definitely get on the phone with them ASAP to see what your rights are.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

That's definitely good info about the mechanics lien, this is for sure something that I was concerned about but the info you've given is very comforting.

Based on both of your advice, I will certainly plan on driving to their office first thing tomorrow morning and do my best to raise the issue up the chain...for some reason I doubt the owner would be there on a Saturday but you never know.

EDIT: 3 posts in and I love this forum already - you guys are awesome.

Just wanted to give an update - we went in to the office this morning and they're going to come out Monday morning to look at the issue areas. Our guy assured us he would do everything needed to get it looking right including drain and re plaster if necessary.

Just wanted to give an update - we went in to the office this morning and they're going to come out Monday morning to look at the issue areas. Our guy assured us he would do everything needed to get it looking right including drain and re plaster if necessary.

Awesome! Sounds like they value customer satisfaction and want to make you whole. Let's us know what they say on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Little bit of an update...the guy came out this morning to put in the startup chemicals, and the supervisor guy met me at the house to look at the surface.

The area around the drain was definitely just sediment and has completely smoothed out. The guy put in a "work order" with his subcontractor to have them call me and come out later this week to look at the problem areas. He seems to think they can be "patched" without draining the pool. I'm skeptical to say the least, but he says they want to give that a try before they do anything else. Unfortunately during the day it's extremely hard to see those problem areas, so I really just had those photos plus what we could reach (ie just the top step) which makes this pretty tough.

I'm not sure I'm too fond of the supervisor guy, he mentioned a couple times that "well this IS a hand-troweled surface and some variation is expected...blah blah" I made up a story about my uncle being in the pool resurfacing business in another state and saying he would be unhappy with this particular finish based on my photos...congratulations you guys are now "my uncle."

Will update once the subcontractor comes out - I'm going to talk to him and see really what his opinion is of patching vs draining.

Little bit of an update...the guy came out this morning to put in the startup chemicals, and the supervisor guy met me at the house to look at the surface.

The area around the drain was definitely just sediment and has completely smoothed out. The guy put in a "work order" with his subcontractor to have them call me and come out later this week to look at the problem areas. He seems to think they can be "patched" without draining the pool. I'm skeptical to say the least, but he says they want to give that a try before they do anything else. Unfortunately during the day it's extremely hard to see those problem areas, so I really just had those photos plus what we could reach (ie just the top step) which makes this pretty tough.

I'm not sure I'm too fond of the supervisor guy, he mentioned a couple times that "well this IS a hand-troweled surface and some variation is expected...blah blah" I made up a story about my uncle being in the pool resurfacing business in another state and saying he would be unhappy with this particular finish based on my photos...congratulations you guys are now "my uncle."

Will update once the subcontractor comes out - I'm going to talk to him and see really what his opinion is of patching vs draining.

Is a manager from the sub coming out, or the guy who did the work?

I had Lowes install a garage opener and the rail fell. Installer didn't hit the header board. He tried giving me a bunch of excuses and argued. I really didn't care about the excuses and fell into the trap proving him wrong.

Long story short, point is the sub manager at lowes was at my house to review and in the end I told them to just fix it. Which they did.

The pool company/job supervisor was the guy that came out today, and someone from the plaster crew is supposed to be coming out to sort out the plaster issues with me home later this week...wasn't really clear if it was the sub manager or not. When he calls me to setup a time I'll get more info on who he is and I'm hoping whoever it is can make the call on whether these spots can be patched or something more extreme.

The plaster crew chief was out on Monday and didn't see any problems. The project manager met me this morning and indicated that the pitted areas could be "hot patched" pretty easily.

He's going to have us mark the pitted areas throughout with pebbles and send out the plaster guy as soon as we can get that done. Will keep you guys updated...I'm not convinced that this patching is really a viable thing for some of these areas but we'll see how it goes.

we had a few rough areas on our Wetedge Primera stone finish when it was installed on our pool. In a a couple of small areas there are some minor depressions and such, but nothing quite as bad as your picture shows. Our white LED lights do seem to show off the areas a little more compared to daytime.

Our rough areas were easily fixed with a polishing pad - the plaster crew showed me how to do that and fixed a few I pointed out in just minutes. Since then I have used some 80 grit sand paper where the finish had some small lumps/rough areas and it smoothed it right out. One area the crew touched up I can still see, only because I know it is there!:suspect:

We do still have just a few areas that I notice, but no one else has noticed.

I think you should certainly get it finished to your satisfaction. I was satisfied after they did the fixes to mine. You should be too - Good Luck!

Big update for you guys...just got back from a few week vacation and we had a chance to use the pool for the first time this weekend. Man, the surface of every wall is uneven and wavy and we found a lot more little issues than you could even see, all over the pool. Every "seam" (ie where the steps meet the walls/bottom, where the corners of the bench, etc.) has a very noticeable ridge and is just overall extremely sloppy.

Today a guy from the plaster company came out and was working on a few of the areas with a polishing pad/sandpaper. He expressed that a lot of the areas that I have complaints about aren't fixable without draining the pool (as I expected), but also explained that he didn't feel they were out of the ordinary for the type of surface I have (I'm calling BS on this one). I told him to try his best, but to please let the finishing company know there are a lot of areas that I'm unhappy with that he can't fix. I am having another local refinishing company come out on Friday to give me their professional opinion of the quality of the surface, and hopefully I can use this to convince the finisher to do whatever they need to get my pool perfect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.