Pool removal

Aug 23, 2012
Has anyone ever filled their pool with dirt or removed it or know much about the process? I've always had a pool when growing up and have two young kids currently now with our own pool; however, we've been living in our house for 10 years and the pool takes up our entire yard. (We bought the house with pool already installed.) When we bought it we didn't have kids but now although they do enjoy the pool, we'd rather have a yard for them to play with play sets etc. I know they'd enjoy that more too. We'd get more use and happiness out of that (our boys have loads of energy), as well as our dogs, as my mom recently moved in with us with her large dog. No one has anywhere to run as we have close to 0 yard and we're possibly thinking of putting on an extension of the house for my mom and removing the pool will
help. Also, the pool is about 20 years old, wasn't installed by us, and I'm concerned with electrical issues as I'm 99.9 percent there are bonding issues occurring. I've had our pool looking crystal clear perfect since joining this site, however, so thank you! Anyway, I'm not looking for anyone to talk me out of filling it as I know everyone loves pool here but I'm curious (aside from cost) any experiences people may have had or anything I should know prior. If this isn't the best forum subject to post this under let me know where I should post it. TIA.

The best thing to do is have a couple of holes punched in the bottom of the pool to allow ground water to escape after it is filled in. The cost of fill dirt can be very high, so you may want to get a few estimates before you make a final decision.

If you want to be able to restore the pool in the future or leave that option for future homeowners, take a picture of the pool in its current state that shows the location of the pool relative to the house. If you want to be really precise measure and pinpoint the exact location on your lot. Cap off the plumbing where it leaves the ground (show where the equipment pad was located as well). Disconnect the electrical if you think it is a problem. Bust up and remove the decking and coping, punch a couple of holes in the floor of the pool, then fill with dirt.
It can take a couple of years for the fill dirt to compact solid on its own. A builder may not want to build an addition over the former pool area for that reason, so hopefully you can use the former pool as green space and build in another part of the yard.

Have you checked with your local municipality to confirm that you can fill it in? Some family friends in the Chicago burbs had to remove everything to satisfy the local codes. They said that had they known that before the demo, they would've just kept the pool.

Leave the pool and list the house for sale, find a home that has what you are looking for
It will be way more cost effective
Plus a home with a pool sells better than a home without, and way better than a home with one that had the pool filled in (that may actually reduce the value)

Just my humble opinion

Plus a home with a pool sells better than a home without, and way better than a home with one that had the pool filled in (that may actually reduce the value)
That statement is location dependent. I have no doubt that is true in Arizona, but in Ohio there are just as many (or more) people who would skip a house with a pool as those who actively want one.

Leave the pool and list the house for sale, find a home that has what you are looking for
It will be way more cost effective

Just my humble opinion

We don't have that option. We're currently upside down in our mortgage as we bought at the highest of high in '07. Waiting for the market to return somewhat. Therefore, our only option at this point is try to make our existing home the home we want, and that's a home with a yard the kids and dogs can run in. I'm not sure homes with pools are always easier to sell. They're great to sell to people who want one but many don't want to be bothered with the maintenance.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm assuming we'd have to disclose that we once had a pool to any future new homeowners if we decide to fill? Just wondering why is that necessary if it's done properly. I'm all new to this and I've been wondering about that.

Good luck
It's sounds like either way you go, there are serious Pros and Cons

It may be a lengthy process and turn into more of a headache then you want

Before you pull the trigger
Do a ton of research and get some quotes
Also speak to a relator
Just so you know how it will impact you positive or negative down the line

Talk to a lawyer and a realtor to be sure about the disclosure issues in your area. If you are underwater on your loan and for what ever reason had to file bankruptcy filling in the pool might hurt you in court with the bank as they would have the property on their records listed as having a pool.

I don't know if you ever pulled the trigger on this, but there is some mixed advice in this thread.

"I'm assuming we'd have to disclose that we once had a pool to any future new homeowners if we decide to fill? Just wondering why is that necessary if it's done properly. I'm all new to this and I've been wondering about that."

That's generally the case, yes. Partial fill-ins (ones where the pool siding is caved in, or where the void is just filled and leveled after removing the top segments) aren't safe to build structures on, and the remaining debris can interfere with new pipes and ground lines. Many cities require disclosure for partial and full removals just as a catch all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In case anyone else is interested in this post, most municipalities no longer permit just filling a pool in - it must be removed in its entirety and this ain't cheap! I wouldn't worry about the bank wondering what happened to the pool if you go this route - I'm sure they don't care, pools add zero value to the home price..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.