Pool Pump Size Question

ozviolinist

Mar 29, 2020
Auburn, AL
Wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding upgrading my stock pool pump. I have an Intex Prism Frame 15' x 48" round pool (4440 gallons) with the stock 1000 GPH Cartridge filter. I want to upgrade to one of the Intel sand filter/pump combos. My question is whether or not to go with the 12" (rated for a pool with a minimum of 2800 gallons), or can I go with the larger 14" model (which is recommended for pools with a minimum of 5000 gallons).

I really want something that will keep the pool clean and actually allow my pool vacuum tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

get the biggest one - get the 16 inch would be my advice. you may need to enlarge your fittings if you have 1.25 inch hoses now, I think all the sand filters are 1.5 inch.

then you can get the intex robot cleaner, it works pretty darn good for a $60 toy. :mrgreen:

no, especially when you think about how undersized/powered the pumps are for these pools. I mean you don't want to go buy a 5 horsepower commercial pool pump but the largest intex is fine for your pool, and like I said, if you ever decide to get the intex robot you pretty much need the big one to make it work.

the 14 will probably work fine (I mean I used the silly cartridge for a couple of years on my pool, you CAN make it work, it just takes fanatical chemistry and attention to maintenance) but for the few bucks more you will be backwashing less and enjoying pool more.

Thanks for the advice! Now I just need to figure what additional parts I need that don't come with the actual pump. Intex's website/manual is not that helpful... I know I need (3?) of the Adapter B (even though they seem to come in packs of 2), but I can't seem to find the hoses and T- piece that come from the pool inlets...

oh yeah, those double "saftey" inlets...I would probably just use one or even shut them both off and put in a skimmer. I don't know what parts you have but intex makes some valves that fit the 1.5 inlets and returns - don't get the new ones with stupid "aeration" technology.

check ebay, amazon and even craigslist for parts - all cheaper than Intex.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.