LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2011
Northeast Ohio USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Short story is that a new pool pump is needed for an inground pool.

Pool is in-ground, about 22000 gallons. There are 2 intakes (skimmer and deep end floor drain), and two returns (1 15 feet from pump location and he other about 40 feet away). There is also a DE filter and may add a heater in the future. Current electric box supply is 115V.

Interested in what experience people have had with their pumps with a similar "load" or just any recommendations in general.

Might look at finding an updated version of the old pump (1990s model I think).

Thanks.

Variable speed, for sure. I'm happy with my Intelliflo VSF, but these days, supply is still limited due to the Texas freeze issues.
I believe InyoPools and Circupool still had some VS pumps available.

If you are staying with 110v than your VS options are limited as most need 220v.

The pentair superflo VS will run on 110v and is a great pump that can easily handle your pool.

I bought a Waterway 1.4hp variable speed pump last season and really like it. It has a Century motor and runs on 110v or 220v. Two days ago I did a flow test sample from my fountains and I was getting about 24gpm at 1450 rpms consuming 154 watts. I also replaced the grids in my filter this past weekend and the flow afterwards was so high I had to reprogram the pump and reduce the "priming" setting by 600 rpms.
I wanted to purchase a Pentair to match my filter but their warranty is only like 30 or 60 days for self install.

The Waterway was $650 online from Inyo Pools and our power company had a $400 rebate - so $250 delivered, which was basically the same price as buying a cheap single eBay pump that draws 1200 watts.

I bought a Waterway 1.4hp variable speed pump last season and really like it. It has a Century motor and runs on 110v or 220v. Two days ago I did a flow test sample from my fountains and I was getting about 24gpm at 1450 rpms consuming 154 watts. I also replaced the grids in my filter this past weekend and the flow afterwards was so high I had to reprogram the pump and reduce the "priming" setting by 600 rpms.
I wanted to purchase a Pentair to match my filter but their warranty is only like 30 or 60 days for self install.

The Waterway was $650 online from Inyo Pools and our power company had a $400 rebate - so $250 delivered, which was basically the same price as buying a cheap single eBay pump that draws 1200 watts.
This one? Waterway Power Defender 140 Dual Voltage Variable Speed Pump 1.40HP 115/230V | PD-140

Yeah, that is the one, sort of... it looks like they added some functionality for actuating a spa or cleaner or something. It looks exactly the same but in grey vs black. I'm really happy with it for the net price of ~$250 (after rebate). It's a pretty substantial pump, as I was surprised at how heavy it is. Check your power company's website for rebates.

I really wanted the Pentair but the warranty limitation was sort of a game killer.

Here is the version I bought... the one you purchased looks like a better deal. Made in the USA too.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is the one, sort of... it looks like they added some functionality for actuating a spa or cleaner or something. It looks exactly the same but in grey vs black. I'm really happy with it for the net price of ~$250 (after rebate). It's a pretty substantial pump, as I was surprised at how heavy it is. Check your power company's website for rebates.

I really wanted the Pentair but the warranty limitation was sort of a game killer.

Here is the version I bought... the one you purchased looks like a better deal. Made in the USA too.

I'm also in the market for a new pump, I have a 1.5 HP single speed whisperflow and salt cell pool, with a booster pump for the 280 cleaner. 18,000 gallons. The catchment has its own single speed pump that I could harvest parts off of my retired main pump to keep it going for a while, meanwhile when the booster pump dies again it appears this one will do the job. From my specs below, do you think this is a good choice for me? Thanks for any input you have

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.