Pool Pump is making loud noise after opening from winterization - video attached

Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
My pump is making a high pitch noise, it’s the first year I’ve opened my pool myself after it was winterized.

Here is a link to the sound

Mypool guy never opens the filter, I just placed a bucket in the pump and turned on the filter and waited for it to flow, it wasn’t instantaneously.

Am I responsible for this noise by the way I opened it? Can I fix this myself

I don't see any water flowing in the pump basket. Am I right? Is it dry? If so, stop right away. We need to help you find out why the water isn't getting to the pump before you overheat it.

It’s just the view from the video because there is no air in the pump, definitely full of water and just got through my first overnight slam and water is very clear.

In that case, with a pump basket full of water and having just opened the pool, it sounds like bearings to me. They may have developed some corrosion over the past few months contributing the noise, but I wouldn't think it should last very long. How old is the pump? Is the noise still as bad as it was earlier?

Reactions: setsailsoon
In that case, with a pump basket full of water and having just opened the pool, it sounds like bearings to me. They may have developed some corrosion over the past few months contributing the noise, but I wouldn't think it should last very long. How old is the pump? Is the noise still as bad as it was earlier?

Just as bad as it was before. The Punp actually sounded just fine when I first opened the oool and for the first 24 hours or so, and at some point switched over to that noise and it hasn’t got better but hasn’t impacted the performance of the pump it seems.

The pump is maybe 3 years old.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The corrosion around the front of the motor is almost always due to a seal leak.

You can look under the motor from the back with a flashlight to see if it's leaking.

If it's leaking, it will be visible, but you have to get just the right angle.

In any case, you can replace the bearings, but it's rarely worth doing.

You have a two speed pump, which will be a more expensive motor than a single speed pump.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I agree with the above assessments. That said, if you have been happy with your 2-speed pump until this issue, I would replace it with the same thing. Noticeably less cost than a VS and can be just as energy efficient

I agree with the others here. Replace your motor is probably the best option here. Definitely replace the seal too since it's almost certainly what caused the motor bearing failure. If you are comfortable working with the 240 v power this is definitely an easy DIY project. Just be sure you really know 240 vac since an error can kill you and/or do a LOT of damage. Most likely you'll just need to turn off the breaker then disconnect the wires then remove the pump, dismantle on the bench, replace the pump seal then replace the motor. There are a LOT of good videos at Inyopools and other places.

Don't know what power costs are in your location and VS versus 2-speed motor costs. You can do the economics to double check the payout. I have a solar array on the roof combined with SWG and VS was a way better choice for me.

Problem with motor bearing replacement is they are hard to get to because the long skinny bolts that hold the motor together freeze in the front flange and twist off when you try to remove them. On your new motor remove them one-at-a-time and coat with anti-seize so this will be an option next time.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: wireform
My 2-speed just died, not that I ever used the low speed often.

It was recommended that I take this opportunity to switch to a VS pump, what are the advantages?

Which VS would you recommend, I just need it to be compatible with my Aqualogic P4 system.

Thank you!

What is the software revision of the automation?

Firmware 2.5, has anything changed in regards to being able to easily upgrade the firmware, I remember I was looking at those upgrade kits to add mobile app functionality to the Aqua Logic and it wasn’t possible at the time on this firmware.

I had reached out to my local Hayward service rep and they didn’t have access to a field firmware updated , they only had access to a pro Logic one.

I’m in Quebec and we have very low electricity cost, are VS pumps built too last longer? Do they run quieter?

Version 2.5 won't control a VS pump. Minimum is 2.65. Yours must be pretty old.

It might be best to just replace the two speed motor.

What is the model number of the pump?

Here is a picture of the motor, I’m not sure which # to give you.

Makes me sad about the Aqualogic, thing was so expensive, shame it can’t be updated.

Attachments

• 85E739BE-984B-4DE9-AB11-89666E095EB5.jpeg
    85E739BE-984B-4DE9-AB11-89666E095EB5.jpeg
    520.8 KB · Views: 17

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.