Pool "Professionally" Closed. Why do i feel uneasy....

Lastly how do you get the antifreeze out of your lines next spring? Just let it mix in with the pool water when you turn things on?
You can blow out most of it with a shop vac towards the pad from both sides. If not, a couple gallons does fine dispersing in your 10k gallons. (y)

You can blow out most of it with a shop vac towards the pad from both sides. If not, a couple gallons does fine dispersing in your 10k gallons. (y)
Who thought adding antifreeze could be so stressful lol. All the pool antifreezes had this kinda warning on the bottle

“This product should not be diluted. Any water remaining in the lines and drains will cause the product to expand and damage water lines.”

So if the whole intent of antifreeze is to prevent any remaining water in the pipes from freezing and expanding, what is the point of adding antifreeze if there is even a chance it could mix with remaining water expand and damage the pipes?

Seems you could be introducing additional risk to the pipes….

Weird. Let’s ask @JamesW. Maybe it’s because car people are used to diluting it 50/50 so if they diluted it and then it diluted further it could be trouble. Nobody in the history of line clearing got it all, and even if they did, there was condensation that collected in the low spots. Pretty much the whole point of antifreeze is to lower the freezing point of (some) water so if it does freeze it does so slushy and not solid.

Hang tight for a better answer.

Reactions: Northern cannonball
I suspect it’s poor wording. I suspect the product isn’t going to mix with water and turn into some expanding foam filling up your lines. What I think they’re saying is mixing water and antifreeze will reduce its efficacy and once it gets cold enough it may freeze at a higher temp.

Weird. Let’s ask @JamesW. Maybe it’s because car people are used to diluting it 50/50 so if they diluted it and then it diluted further it could be trouble. Nobody in the history of line clearing got it all, and even if they did, there was condensation that collected in the low spots. Pretty much the whole point of antifreeze is to lower the freezing point of (some) water so if it does freeze it does so slushy and not solid.

Hang tight for a better answer.
Ya i think it is poorly worded. I called up the manufacturer and they said if there is some water remaining in the pipes then it won't be a problem. I actually did a test and filled a water bottle with 1/3 antifreeze and the other 2/3 with water, threw it in the freezer overnight. It froze up but didn't expand the bottle, a bit was still slushy. AF is 1,2-Propylene glycol and 1000ppm Ethanol.

Pool company also came back and winterized the pool lights, took about 10 minutes and the process looks really easy for next year when I attempt it myself. They said AF isn't necessary and if any water is remaining in the lines it has space to freeze/expand without cracking or breaking the PVC pipe. If anything were to happen it would be fully covered and fixed by them. AF would be added insurance, but makes me wonder if something were to happen if they can refuse warranty since I added something after their work was complete....

Reactions: Newdude
You can also buy a dummy cell for your SWCG; mine was $18 from Amazon. Many other people just leave it open with a towel, etc wrapped around the ends.

Ziplock bags and zip ties work well for me. 👍

Attachments

• 99B38C39-EABC-499D-9FC5-0F170E286C6F.jpeg
    99B38C39-EABC-499D-9FC5-0F170E286C6F.jpeg
    457.2 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.