Pool Plaster Discolorations

Major Scaling. What do I do diff this time around???

Topics merged for consistency by Moderator

Long story short: the issue of my pool is major scaling that is causing the discoloration of the plaster/pebble tec. Acid bath isn't gonna cut it (been sitting in acid for 4 days and it's barely breaking through) so we are going to do a complete drain and acid wash. I am so nervous about all of this. I'm a pool noob...and I'm freaked out that I will face all of this again. What I *do* know this time around (pool is less than 4 mo old) is that I have got to keep super close tabs on my pH. Like...SUPER CLOSE with daily testing. My fill water is testing at a pH of 8.0.

Sooo...is there anything that should be added DURING the fill (sequestering agent like Jack Magic or something???) to increase my chances of a better outcome this time? Would it help to have my fill water completely tested for other levels or is there really nothing that be done with that info?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

If your pebble surface is less than four weeks old you could add some Jacks Magic The Blue Stuff, or some similar sequestrant that is optimized for fresh plaster/calcium. If it is more than four weeks old, then that is much less important/useful.

The key thing is to keep your PH below 8.0. Make sure you have muriatic acid on hand and test the PH at least daily till things settle down.

JasonLion said:
If your pebble surface is less than four weeks old you could add some Jacks Magic The Blue Stuff, or some similar sequestrant that is optimized for fresh plaster/calcium. If it is more than four weeks old, then that is much less important/useful.

The key thing is to keep your PH below 8.0. Make sure you have muriatic acid on hand and test the PH at least daily till things settle down.

Thanks. The pebble is 12 wks old so it sound slike the Jack's Magic won't be needed. I'll just keep the muriatic acid on hand and ready to add ASAP. Do I test it immediately after it's filled and add the acid right away? I know it's going to test at at an 8.0 b/c that's what my fill water is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.