Pool Opening Help With One Question! Please!!

dumwalke

Jun 16, 2020
Indianapolis, Indiana
My wife and I opened our pool on our own for the first time this season. It is an in-ground pool with a built-in popup floor cleaner system. Ever since we opened the pool it hasn't seemed right from a plumbing perspective. Whenever we shut off the filter we have to prime it every time to get it going again. It just feels like there is something not right with the suction etc. The only thing we weren't sure of when we opened the pool was the shutoff valve that I have circled in red in this picture. When we opened the pool it was turned horizontally however that was causing a leak at one of the pipe seams. Therefore, we turned it vertically like it is shown in the picture. Could this be our problem and can anyone tell me if this shutoff valve should be switched back to the horizontal position? We believe this valve has to do with the operation of the pop up floor cleaning system. We would be so appreciative if someone can please help!!

Attachments

• PoolFilter.jpg
    PoolFilter.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to TFP! :wave: The pic is sort of small and from a distance on my screen and I can't zoom in, but it does appear to be on your return (pressure) side going back to the pool. The handle appears to be open for both lines, the return and cleaning system pipe. On my 3-way valve, the handle end is open and the flat duckbill tab is closed, so if you turn it 90 degrees to the right (clockwise) it should close off the cleaning system and push all water back to the other (left) pipe. Not sure if leaving the cleaning line open is what was causing the water to dump out of your pump basket (pot) to lose prime when turned off. Sometimes it's a very small air leak at the equipment pad that is breaking your air-tight plumbing seal and allowing the water to move. That can happen at the start of a new year if a seal was compromised during the winter. After you try closing the cleaning system, if it still does it you might take a close look at all the other valves, unions, and even the filter pressure gauge to ensure air is not getting in. You might not see water seep out, but air can sneak in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.