Pool numbers not in balance need help

Mnicholsmrn

Apr 28, 2019
Houston Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
We have an inline chlorinator in our 15000 gallon plaster pool. The numbers are out of balance and I need help to figure what to do first and in what order. I have tested using the Taylor test at home. Please also advise what are ideal numbers. I have removed pucks from chlorinator. Do I need to turn chlorinator off if no pucks in it or is it ok to leave on.
Thanks
FC 12
PH below 7.0
ALK 30
CH 260
CYA 90

I have tested using the Taylor test at home.
Which kit do you have?

Please also advise what are ideal numbers.

I have removed pucks from chlorinator.
Good decision. For now, you need to chlorinate with liquid chlorine only. You can get 10% LC at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc..

FC 12
PH below 7.0
The pH test is invalid when the FC exceeds 10. Let the FC drift below 10 and retest.

Assuming this value is correct, add enough baking soda to increase the TA by 30. Use PoolMath to calculate the correct amount: PoolMath

This is at the very high end of manageable CYA. (The use of trichlor tabs led to this, along with the low TA/pH.) You're an excellent candidate for a SWG, and I would definitely recommend getting one. If you want to continue chlorinating with LC, I would recommend a 30% drain and refill to lower your CYA. Manage your FC according to your CYA level: Chlorine / CYA Chart

Last edited:
I am using the Taylor K-2006. We had swg before redoing the pebblesheen plaster and new coping and contractor talked us into inline chlorinator. Salt was eating up the pump,metal door and previous coping. Do you know how many feet to drain for 30%drain? After drain and water then do I increase the alkality and calcuim hardness. Am I ok to stop chlorinating and let it lower by itself.

I am using the Taylor K-2006. We had swg before redoing the pebblesheen plaster and new coping and contractor talked us into inline chlorinator. Salt was eating up the pump,metal door and previous coping. Do you know how many feet to drain for 30%drain? After drain and water then do I increase the alkality and calcuim hardness. Am I ok to stop chlorinating and let it lower by itself.
Chances are very, very slim that salt was causing your issues. More likely is poor consistent water chemistry in general and inferior coping and other items.

Take your average pool depth and drain down 1/3 of that (33-ish percent).

Once refilled, post a complete set of test results.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Without new results after the refill, knowing what to address is just a guess at this point.

We had swg before redoing the pebblesheen plaster and new coping and contractor talked us into inline chlorinator. Salt was eating up the pump,metal door and previous coping.
Salt didn't cause your damage. There are thousands of members using SWGs with no issues.

Do you still have the SWG? If so, install it, keep water balanced (we'll show you how) and we'll make you a believer too.

With a SWG, you can manage FC/CYA ratio with a CYA of 80 ppm.

Your easiest option is mentioned above with your cell if you still have it. If what your contractor said was true why would thousands of pools not have those very same problems. The real problem is water chemistry out of wack for a long time secondly don't rely on anyone including pool stores to advise your pool chemistry because they know less then your contractor if that's even possible.

I am using the Taylor K-2006.
Excellent!

We had swg before redoing the pebblesheen plaster
Do you still have it? Is it still installed and operational? What model? Getting your SWG running again would solve many problems.

contractor talked us into inline chlorinator.
That was bad advice.

Salt was eating up the pump,metal door and previous coping.
It wasn't the salt. Bad chemistry and poor materials are the percentage threat.

Do you know how many feet to drain for 30%drain?
Visualize 30% of your pool volume. If you're going to start using the SWG again, no drain is needed because you'll operate at a higher CYA level than if you used LC.

After drain and water then do I increase the alkality and calcuim hardness.
We'll cross that bridge if and when we need to. After stopping trichlor tabs, you'll probably never have to increase your TA again. What's the pH, TA, and CH of your fill water?

Am I ok to stop chlorinating and let it lower by itself.
Very briefly. With the heat and sun we're experiencing, it won't take long to get your FC below 10. Then, follow the CYA/FC chart and keep your FC at or above the target always.

Fill out your signature with your pool specifics when you have a minute. If you can get your SWG operating and add a little baking soda, you'll be in great shape.

So with free chlorine do I am for the ideal level or a percentage of fc to cya ratio? i have the swg but it was taken down and cut off withe the pvc. With swg ph was always out of control and had to battle to keep right chlorine level.

Excellent!

Do you still have it? Is it still installed and operational? What model? Getting your SWG running again would solve many problems.

That was bad advice.

It wasn't the salt. Bad chemistry and poor materials are the percentage threat.

Visualize 30% of your pool volume. If you're going to start using the SWG again, no drain is needed because you'll operate at a higher CYA level than if you used LC.

We'll cross that bridge if and when we need to. After stopping trichlor tabs, you'll probably never have to increase your TA again. What's the pH, TA, and CH of your fill water?

Very briefly. With the heat and sun we're experiencing, it won't take long to get your FC below 10. Then, follow the CYA/FC chart and keep your FC at or above the target always.

Fill out your signature with your pool specifics when you have a minute. If you can get your SWG operating and add a little baking soda, you'll be in great shape.
Thanks im in the woodlands also.

Reactions: pjt
With swg ph was always out of control and had to battle to keep right chlorine level.
The acidity of the tablets WAS keeping pH in check. With chlorine, you'll notice pH rise again. You will need to add liquid chlorine each day during swim season. Reconsider the SWG...it really is the best option. We can help you set up the SWG output.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So with free chlorine do I am for the ideal level or a percentage of fc to cya ratio?
Use the CYA/FC chart. Start with how you chlorinate (liquid chlorine or SWG), go to your CYA level, and then find the corresponding FC target. Use the target FC as your floor. It's fine to be a little above the target FC.

i have the swg but it was taken down and cut off withe the pvc.
Ouch. That's unfortunate. I would remove the tab feeder and get the SWG reinstalled.

With swg ph was always out of control
pH management is part of every pool. What do you consider "out of control"?

had to battle to keep right chlorine level.
It wasn't due to the SWG, unless it was undersized. Having a SWG makes pool management so much easier and convenient.

How do I use my inline chlorinator and not get high cya? Do I use something different than trichlor?
Leave it empty. That's the only way. Solid forms of chlorine add either CYA or calcium. Both will require exchanging water or reverse osmosis to remove.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.