Pool newbie starting a build soon - (Fiberglass veterans, please read!) - Haslet, TX

cfkohl007

Jul 15, 2019
Haslet, TX
Howdy all!! A buddy of mine told me about this site about a month ago when he heard that I was looking at getting a pool. I've never had a pool before, so I knew that I had to do my research. So much info!! I've spent hours and hours of reading. Everything that I've learned about pools is from reading the forums here, so thank you everyone!

I've been doing a lot of reading on the differences between gunite and fiberglass. Back and forth, and back a forth....It makes my head want to explode! I think that I've settled on a fiberglass pool, and I'd like to put the specs up for the "experts" to evaluate.

Pool - 10k gallon, San Juan "Rio" - My Pool Space, Swimming Pool Photos, Fiberglass Pools and Fiberglass Spas from San Juan Pools at MyPoolSpace
Standard builder features - 1 skimmer, 3 returns, 2 LED lights, 2 inch schedule 40 pipe, 3x4 equipment pad
Extras that I want to have added - SWCG (Pentair IC20), auto-fill, 2 ton rock waterfall feature
I'll be buying a pool robot, (no clue what model is recommended) so I guess that's another thing I'll have to research soon.

I already have a TF-100 test kit bundle from tftestkits.net bookmarked and ready to order.

Here are a couple of issues that I could use some help with.
--- I want to go with the standard "white", because I've read that the color choices will eventually fade over time. Also, if any repairs are needed, I read that it will be hard to match. Is this true?
--- Is waterline tile needed or recommended for a fiberglass pool? The builder wants $3k to add waterline tile. My wife loves the look and wants it, and I'm sure it would be nice to help prevent the "water ring" that may form from the waterline. Is it worth getting? I figure that white might show the ring more than a color option, so maybe waterline tile would be needed. But if we go with a color option, then she's ok with no waterline tile...but then that brings me back to my first issue...fading of the color over time. Maybe I should just do white w/ waterline tile??

Once again, I'm a pool newbie, so please feel free to chime in and give me your opinions. Also, I'd LOVE to hear what you fiberglass veterans have to say about your choice to go with fiberglass. Would you do it again if you could do it over? Pros/Cons?

Thanks again everyone!!!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: We enjoy our FG pool very much. Our color changed a bit, but that may have been due to some inexperience on my part before I really understood some chemistry. Now it's fine. There are some FG owners who see changes, while others have had theirs for years and it looks like the day they got it. Several variables in each scenario, to include the manufacture, so it's hard to tell. But get the color you want. Repairs, if needed, have improved. If your pool is installed properly, hopefully you won't need any repairs at all. As for the waterline tile, we opted to pass. It can always be added later if you feel the pool needs a little cosmetic upgrade.

The most critical part you already did - order a TF-100. In the meantime, make sure to understate the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and use the PoolMath tool consistently and ask questions. While FG pools don't have the same issues as plaster, we do have gelcoats to protect, so you still need the water balanced so it's not too aggressive or hard (scale). Good luck!

One major down side to water line tile in a FG pool, it will be "Proud" on the bottom edge. I.E. stick out 1/4-3/8 of an inch. Our Pool is gray and we love it, I am not worried about fading. I do see a water line type of ring however you will also see that on tile!

Welcome to the FGP family!!

One last thing, look at this liner actuator switch for your sump pump.

John

Attachments

• 20190518_184207.jpg
    20190518_184207.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20190629_140652.jpg
    20190629_140652.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 39
Thank you for the info! We may just choose a nice color, and forgo the waterline tile.

I have a couple of PB reps coming out this week to take a look at my property. One of the PB indicated that they use washed concrete sand for their backfill. From my reading here, I'm not too sure that I'm comfortable with that. The other PB indicated that they use gravel. But, I need to get clarification if it is pea gravel or the 3/8" gravel, which seems to be the recommended choice. Pea gravel seems like it could shift around too much, just like sand could. Decisions, decisions.....

They hard pack the pea gravel in all crevices of your pool, it is 3/8 max.

My pool is rock solid on all flat surfaces.

My pool company is the best in the business, the local rep and dealer leaves a lot to be desired.

John

Attachments

• 20190415_093502.jpg
    20190415_093502.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 34
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.