Pool looked great but now I messed up

The white powder stuff is almost out. If it's left undisturbed it settles and pool is really clear. I gave the entire pool a good brushing after backwashing. Speaking of backwashing, my "clean" PSI sits at 16 and I usually BW when it gets to 22+ or if the jets are struggling/clogged. Does that sound about right? Haven't put anymore DE in because I think I was putting too much in and it came out in the pool.
My next question is we're going on vacation for a week and I'm thinking about getting some pucks to go in a floater. We will leave pump running. My CYA last I checked was 30 and it's probably less than that with topping off, BW and rain. So I don't think it will hurt. I don't have anyone to help with it. What is the best kind of pucks for this situation? I have 2 pool stores near me, one sells poolife brand and the other sells bioguard. Then you have whatever Walmart and Lowe's sell.😊

Last edited:
For your filter, you want to clean it when the pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. That means if your clean pressure is 16, you should clean it when the pressure reads 20.

I don't have a DE filter, but you should be recharging a % of the DE each time you clean, and all the DE for the full clean (where you take the grids out and clean them). I'm not confident an the exact % of DE to recharge after backwashing but I think it's like 80%? I believe there is an article in pool school that explains it.

Reactions: Farmerswife96
For your filter, you want to clean it when the pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. That means if your clean pressure is 16, you should clean it when the pressure reads 20.

I don't have a DE filter, but you should be recharging a % of the DE each time you clean, and all the DE for the full clean (where you take the grids out and clean them). I'm not confident an the exact % of DE to recharge after backwashing but I think it's like 80%? I believe there is an article in pool school that explains it.
Farmerswife96 has a sand filter, not a DE filter. They were using a small amount of DE in the sand filter to provide extra filtration. They do not need to re-charge the DE.

Reactions: Farmerswife96
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.