Pool Liner or Fibreglass for a refurb?

Richard_S

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
SW France
Our outdoor SWG pool is looking somewhat tired. It currently has a liner installed, which is beginning to pull away from the edges and it looks like we may have to bite the bullet and have this replaced in the coming months. It's approx 12 yrs old, so assume this is to be expected.

Question: Whilst we can replace the liner, someone has suggested that we instead use a "fibreglass" finish, rather than a liner. I realise that any finishes are likely to be much more costly, but wanted to know if this type of finish has greater longevity than a liner - and ultimately if the longer term costs are actually less than liners.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Hey Richard !! From solely a cost perspective, the liner usually has the lower investment. Or you would have to have 2-3 liners fail early to make them equal to the cost of fiberglassing.

Do you know for sure the construction of the walls ? Typically refinishing with fiberglass would only be an option for a fiberglass pool or a hybrid pool with fiberglass walls and a cement floor. If you have steel/resin/concrete walls and a sand bottom like most liner pools, refinishing isn’t an option.

Thanks for that - yes, I somewhat suspected the fibreglassing route was very expensive and to your point on the construction of the walls and base, I believe them all to be of either concrete brick or concrete - not sure that there is any sand involved, as images from yesteryear construction don't show this - see below.

The only reason I would change to any finish is to avoid maintenance over a longer period than a liner might offer, but if they suffer wear and tear at a similar rate or near similar rate, the added cost of fibreglass is clearly not worth it.

thanks for your input!

IMGP2124.JPG

Reactions: Newdude
Having that pic is ALOT to go on. @jimmythegreek should be able to advise you of your options. Best of luck either way and keep us posted, we’d all love to take the journey with you.

That is quite a solid looking pool. I'm guessing you could do fiberglass on it but at high cost and questionable availability of qualified workers? Of course I'm no expert.

The only negative to a liner I see is the sharp corners, but if you've had the current liner for 13 years you've managed well and obviously the corners didn't present a problem. Remember that liners can be patched for small holes and leaks. They also allow for customization in colors/patterns. The lower price is a huge plus to me.

I also look forward to hearing from Jimmythegreek. He installs vinyl pools so he's the pro here.....

Maddie :flower:

Very expensive to do fiberglass coating, very similar cost to ecofinish. The issue with amy coating is the sub structure. If any masonry moves or cracks that telegraphs thru the finish. Vinyl liners are cheap, they hide a multitude of sins, amd last a long time. Would take 3 or 4 average liner swaps to cover am interior finish. Will the finish last 40 years+?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.