Pool Lights - Dilemma

SteveK

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2007
Central NJ
Late last summer my 22-season old Fiberstars illuminator (FS-4) died. After 22 seasons, it didn't owe us anything.

So the plan was to replace the whole fiber system with LED lighting.

Lots of positive comments here and elsewhere about the SR Smith Treo lighting system as a perfect/direct retro-fit for Fiberstars.

Even though on-line sites selling the Treo system (like Amazon, PoolSupplyWorld, and even SR Smith) say "fits standard 1-1/2" pool wall fitting", there is limited (if any) info on the depth of conduit needed beyond the wall fitting.

Here's my dilemma -- the original PB appears to have used 1" black polybutyl conduit from the wall fitting to the illuminator.
And the method used appears to be PVC-glued into the back of the wall fitting.
In other words -- there is NOT enough room to insert a Treo light (or the new Helo light) from SR Smith deep enough for an installation.

Below is a photo of one of the wall fittings. It looks like I can drill-out about an inch of additional depth, but beyond that, there is a risk of breaching the conduit.
20180531_180805.jpg

When I use the SR Smith "fit gauge" for the Treo light, you can see that more than 1" additional depth is needed. The Helo light is not much better.
20180604_124605.jpg

At this point, I am thinking I have limited options:
  • Break through concrete pool deck near the 3 wall fittings, dig down, and connect a 1-foot length of 1.5" PVC conduit
  • Investigate other manufacturer's products for a LED lighting system needing a shallow niche
  • Plug up the wall fittings and forego lights altogether.

SR Smith makes a 'micro' model that will fit, but it is rated @2 watts vs 5 watts for Treo and 7 watts for Helo.
In other words -- not a lot of light for a 20x40 pool.

Any other options or suggestions? I am all ears at this point.

Thanks in advance,
SteveK

Wow, that stinks. Well, our pools are almost the same size, and I have 3 LED along one side, but they are the smaller 3" type. Still, even if you could only install one light I would think that would be better than nothing. I suppose in the end it depends on how much night swimming you do. But if you do decide to just close it off, I wouldn't make it permanent in case you find another good option later.

I used to install a lot of those when I was in college, which was about the time you pool was built..

It’s been so long but, I believe you are mistaking the lens assembly for a plumbing pipe reducer.

What size pipe is under the tower?

Wow, that stinks. Well, our pools are almost the same size, and I have 3 LED along one side, but they are the smaller 3" type. Still, even if you could only install one light I would think that would be better than nothing. I suppose in the end it depends on how much night swimming you do. But if you do decide to just close it off, I wouldn't make it permanent in case you find another good option later.

Are you using 3 micro LEDs from SR Smith or some other brand/model? How happy are you with their brightness?

LED pool lights don't show how many lumens they put out...but seeing photos online of the micro LEDs, I am not too impressed by the light output.

BTW, I have 3 light fittings in pool on one side as you do. And one light in the steps -- I was planning to use a micro LED in that fitting.

If you end up breaking concrete also take a look at the Jandy Nicheless. They come in 9,20 and 30 w versions

https://www.jandy.com/en/products/lighting/nicheless-led-gen-2

Thank you for the suggestion. I checked the link you provided -- at least Jandy's site says 'uses a longer niche conduit'. SR Smith does not say that. Just says 'uses standard 1.5" wall fitting'.
A wall fitting is just that -- a wall fitting. Their lights need a standard 1.5" wall fitting AND several inches of 1.5" conduit behind the fitting. Won't fit the fitting by itself.

- - - Updated - - -

I used to install a lot of those when I was in college, which was about the time you pool was built..

It’s been so long but, I believe you are mistaking the lens assembly for a plumbing pipe reducer.

What size pipe is under the tower?

1" black poly pipe was used as conduit from the fitting back to the tower/illuminator -- not 1.5" schedule 40 PVC.

The picture I posted does not have any part of the lens assembly. It shows the wall fitting and some kind reducer/connector between the black poly and the wall fitting.
I've replaced the lens assemblies several years ago and what you see in the picture was not part of the lens assembly.

Even if it was part of the lens assembly and it was removed or drilled-out, the 1" poly pipe is right there and not enough depth for the Treo or Helo.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion. I checked the link you provided -- at least Jandy's site says 'uses a longer niche conduit'. SR Smith does not say that. Just says 'uses standard 1.5" wall fitting'.
A wall fitting is just that -- a wall fitting. Their lights need a standard 1.5" wall fitting AND several inches of 1.5" conduit behind the fitting. Won't fit the fitting by itself.

- - - Updated - - -

1" black poly pipe was used as conduit from the fitting back to the tower/illuminator -- not 1.5" schedule 40 PVC.

The picture I posted does not have any part of the lens assembly. It shows the wall fitting and some kind reducer/connector between the black poly and the wall fitting.
I've replaced the lens assemblies several years ago and what you see in the picture was not part of the lens assembly.

Even if it was part of the lens assembly and it was removed or drilled-out, the 1" poly pipe is right there and not enough depth for the Treo or Helo.

Old school fibers have a plastic washer- you can pop from the front.. as you said looks like you were knocked down to 1” right out of the wall..

That just sucks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.