Pool light wiring issue

Jun 23, 2018
Spring, TX
Hello All,

I am hoping that I can get some help from the brilliant minds of this board. I have been working off and on for 3 years since we moved into our house to get our pool light working. I have done a large amount of reading on how things should be wired, and comparing to what I currently have and just can't make things line up. SO before I go and call Mr Sparky to come out and work it for a nice price, I thought I would reach out and see if anyone can give me some direction to try.

I have the attached junction box outside of my garage. The box is mounted on top of conduit that contains the wires for the light. I don't have any transformer or other places to access the wiring for the light. This is an older model halogen. I have seen it on in the past, but only for 2 seconds or less before it tripped. I have a 3 part wire coming from a switch inside the garage labeled pool light. I also have another 3 part wire coming into the box. I dont know that the switch has any power on the other side of it.

My understanding is that the plug should always be powered on, and the switch should simply control the light. I purchased a new 15A GFCI plug and cover kit as the old one was exposed to the elements. I will try to get a diagram drawn up to show what I have going on in terms of what is connected where. I know I have 3 white exposed wires, 1 black, and all the grounds are twisted together.

I have been trying to get this thing working for years when I have time, and would love to be able to have it working for a birthday party in a few weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_3159.jpg
    IMG_3159.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 80
Line voltage (120v from CB) goes black and white to the line side of the gfi. Load side of the gfi white goes to the white of the light. Load side black goes to the switch and another black (or any other color but white, grey, or green) go to the black of the light.

from what you describe the switch is upstream (closer to breaker) than the outlet. This means the switch would control the light and the GFI outlet. My guess is they put the GFI in to protect the pool / light after the switch was installed. If this is the case then the black from hot side would go to the switch and then the black to the outlet from the switch. The white would be nutted together in the switch box and the green (also the green screw on the switch). If it keeps tripping you have a gorund fault somewhere. If you don't know how to test for that, you really need to get an electrician to come look at it. Don't mess with electricity if you aren't sure, it can lead to baaaad things.

After searching wiring diagrams, talking with an electrician, and some trial and error, I finally got it up and working! I have attached the diagram that I used to get it working.

- - - Updated - - -

After searching wiring diagrams, talking with an electrician, and some trial and error, I finally got it up and working! I have attached the diagram that I used to get it working.
Now with attachment!

Attachments

• 9EE94428-309D-4A33-A3BF-8AAA91513A78.jpg
    9EE94428-309D-4A33-A3BF-8AAA91513A78.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 24
That is incorrect for a pool light. Your pool light is not protected by the gfi in that wiring diagram. It is run in parallel.

To verify what I'm saying trip your gfi. Does your pool light stay on? That would not be good

You will need to bring the wires from your panel black and white to the line side of the gfi. It will be marked. Load side black to the light switch, then back to the pool light and load side white directly to the pool light.

That is incorrect for a pool light. Your pool light is not protected by the gfi in that wiring diagram. It is run in parallel.

To verify what I'm saying trip your gfi. Does your pool light stay on? That would not be good

I agree

26700 gal, vinyl, SWG, Hayward Goldline controls, T-15 Cell, 20gpm/ft2 sand filter, 1 hp pump , Taylor K-2006 test kit

If you wire as shown then you have by passed the gfci and is only protecting the receptical and not the light.

26700 gal, vinyl, SWG, Hayward Goldline controls, T-15 Cell, 20gpm/ft2 sand filter, 1 hp pump , Taylor K-2006 test kit

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.