Pool light and bubbler light on separate switches?

Apr 17, 2017
Fort Lauderdale, FL
My pool builder is asking whether we want to wire the pool lighting so that we can control the main pool light and the bubbler light (which is on the sunshelf) separately. It's an additional $600+ to do this, on top of so many other countless add-ons along the way....so while it's tempting to skip it, I also want to do this the right way. I did clarify with him that the bubbler control is separate, so this is just in regards to the lights.

Would appreciate any opinions! Thank you!

I can only add that we originally had our pool light and spa light all wired together. We had a problem during initial start-up and they ended up wiring them separately and I am very glad they did. It is nice to be able to sit in the hot tub and not have to see the glow of the pool during late night or if you just want to use the hot tub. Don't know if you would ever just want the bubblers on - but you may?

It’s interesting they want to charge you $600 to do it. I mean they have to run cables to the controller anyway. Then it’s a matter of how it’s wired in the controller. I would say yes wire them separately but ask why it would cost $600.

His explanation is that it would require a separate transformer and switch, I honestly don't know much (or anything) about electricity - so not really sure if that makes sense. Basically, everything throughout this entire build has been an upcharge. Very frustrating, but hopefully approaching the end of it.

He is correct about the transformer. These are low voltage LED lights so each separately run light(s) will need it's own transformer.

The PX100s cost $80 and the 300s are a little over $100....

I think it's worth it but I really like the look of a pool with a lot of light but all on different colors. I'm :crazy: like that though

This is how our last pool builder did business. Any little thing that was not spelled out in the contract was an upcharge. Even things we specified as upgraded had an upcharge when we selected what we wanted and any change order was an upcharge even if the change created a simpler execution.

While our new pool builder did not come cheap by any means, there have been no surprises. He has not mentioned an upcharge once and there have been plenty of things that have been tweaked along the way. His business model is based on wanting the customer to be happy with their pool and happy with the experience.

I don't think the lights for the bubblers need a separate transformer unless you want to turn them off separately. Each light in the pool needs to be on a separate relay to be able to change colors independently (i.e. color swim). Relays are even cheaper but each pool controller has a different capacity.

Bob

The relays are in the high voltage compartment of the panel and cause a significant voltage drop on low voltage circuits.

Installing the lights in that fashion would be a code violation and could potentially damage the lights due to voltage drop.

It's a horrible design but the automation capabilities haven't caught up with the desires of newer pool builds.

Here is an excerpt from a Pentair Tech:

PentairProduct ... Posted 3 years ago
Yes, each relay would require an individual circuit. Through the programming, when color swim is set, each relay closes at different times to start the color rotation to each light at a certain timed interval.
The EasyTouch is not compatible with any expansions. If additional relays are required, changing the motherboard to an EasyTouch 8 would be necessary.
Switching the high voltage side of the circuit is necessary because the voltage is more susceptible to voltage drop through the relay and could cause the lights not to go to the desired mode or even not light at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.