Pool leak, inch of water loss per day

aralph

Jun 22, 2015
St. Francisville, LA
Been chasing a leak. Realized it after regular salt and CYA loss. I know it isn't leaking out of the discharge/backwash port or any of the above ground plumbing/filter/pump. It also seems to only be when pump is running as I pass the bucket test with the pump off. I assume it's underground somewhere but no evidence (wet spots etc). Also, I get air bubbles from ONE return jet - the one closest to the pump. Any ideas where to begin? Return side typically more prone to failure than the suction side? I'm about ready to contact a leak detection company.

I'm about ready to contact a leak detection company.
That's ultimately what I've had to do. However Leak Detection article is a good place to start. Question, are you getting air in your pump basket, to the point you have trouble maintaining a prime? If not, then it is most likely a pressure side leak especially since it only occurs when the pump is running.

That's ultimately what I've had to do. However Leak Detection article is a good place to start. Question, are you getting air in your pump basket, to the point you have trouble maintaining a prime? If not, then it is most likely a pressure side leak especially since it only occurs when the pump is running.
No issue maintaining pump prime. I found a DIY pressure tester kit on Amazon, has pretty good reviews. It's $219 and it looks like about $25 worth of parts, works with a standard air compressor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.