Pool is leaking 1/2 inch a day

ba67

Oct 17, 2018
Southern Kentucky
I posted a few days ago about a steady drip that was coming out of our pool heater that was causing us to lose 1/2 inch of water a day. A pool pro came over yesterday and replaced some switch that caused the drip to stop. This morning, I went out to turn on the pump and check the pool and we had lost over a half inch overnight again, even though the pump wasn’t running all night. The puddles of water around the heater are larger than they were last night when I turned the pump off and it didn’t rain overnight. I see no evidence of any dripping when the pump is on or off. If we have another leak in the heater, could it cause water to drip out when the pump isn’t running? There is also a lot of water on the ground near the salt water generator cell. Could that be leaking? Could there be a pinhole leak in one of the pipes that goes into/out of the pump and/or heater that would leak when the pump is off? There was so much water around the heater when the pool pro came to fix the heater yesterday that he couldn’t tell for certain if anything else was leaking or not. He told me to wait until everything dries out to see if it is still leaking. It appears that it is never going to dry out since it is still leaking. Since we do not use the heater, should we get a bypass installed for the heater and see if that stops the leak? Finances are tight right now so I just want to get this leak stopped as inexpensively as possible.

The only way it would leak without the pump running is if its gravity fed. Which is usually not the case.
Depending on the size of your pool its possible you have a leak somewhere else. For my pool a 1/2" day leak would not be a drip from any equipment. It would be a significant stream of water. Which i did once have and found my leak to be around the front of light niche.

Our pool equipment is downhill from the pool. We had a leak once in the waste line and it leaked overnight even when the pump was off. Could the same thing happen if the leak is the heater? Before I spend money trying to find a leak inside the pool, I think I will get a bypass installed in the heater to make sure the leak isn’t in the heater somewhere or in the pipes leading to the heater since I see puddles of water in that area. I don’t want to spend money on leak detection services to find a leak inside the pool until I take care of the visible leak in the equipment area. I had a leak in the light niche once and it cost over $1000 to get it diagnosed and fixed because I had to hire an expensive leak detection company in another town to find it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.