Pool is in! Now it's time to add the first chemicals!

jbilliel

May 5, 2020
Connecticut
I have the TFP Test kit and my question is should begin adjusting the water conditions in a certain order (i.e. ph first, then alkalinity, etc)? Perhaps it doesn't matter? Should I shock it first and then adjust the water chemistry?

Any advice is appreciated for this first time pool noobie!

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

I have the TFP Test kit and my question is should begin adjusting the water conditions in a certain order (i.e. ph first, then alkalinity, etc)? Perhaps it doesn't matter? Should I shock it first and then adjust the water chemistry?
Any advice is appreciated for this first time pool noobie!
Hello!
First: Can you add your filter & test kit details to your signature please? Thanks!

As for the pool:
  1. No shocking! (remember ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry)
  2. Run a full set of tests (share the results, so we can give personalized suggestions)
  3. Use PoolMath (app or here online) to add the amount of STABILIZER (aka CYA) in a sock (target CYA/30 to start) hanging in the water in front of return (water coming into pool)
  4. Use PoolMath to add enough liquid chlorine to reach FC/5
  5. The other test results will determine further steps
  6. Enjoy your pool most likely!!

Get about 3 ppm FC in there. Then you can let the kids in. Mess around with the CYA and the sock and put that in. By then the kids will have it well mixed and you can test pH & TA and adjust them as needed. Sometime in the next few days you'll want to test CH, just so you know what it is, not that you'll do anything about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.