Pool Factory AGP oval - sand or foam inside for base

unsigned1138

Mar 25, 2024
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Having analysis paralysis here, in part because I’m an DIY’er that’s never done a pool install before and I don’t know what I don’t know.

Installing a Pool Factory Steel 15’x26’x54” “permanent” AGP. I’ve leveled the install location to within 1” by digging down, and have 4” of CA6 crusher with fines that will be compacted to level for the build to start on. There was significant grade, it’s essentially level with grade at one end and about 22” down to level on the other.

The Pool Factory instructions indicate 3” of sand inside the pool walls plus 4” cove for a sand bottom wall height of 7”. I did order the foam cove with the pool, so i would not have to build with sand.

3” seems like a lot, but maybe it’s because of the bottom plates that tie the side buttress posts together? With this in mind, do I have an opportunity to use XPS foam here?

3” is a lot of XPS foam, it would have to be a couple of layers - which I’m ok with, but is there something with the bottom plates that makes sand a better choice?

What do you all think?

Having analysis paralysis here, in part because I’m an DIY’er that’s never done a pool install before and I don’t know what I don’t know.

Installing a Pool Factory Steel 15’x26’x54” “permanent” AGP. I’ve leveled the install location to within 1” by digging down, and have 4” of CA6 crusher with fines that will be compacted to level for the build to start on. There was significant grade, it’s essentially level with grade at one end and about 22” down to level on the other.

The Pool Factory instructions indicate 3” of sand inside the pool walls plus 4” cove for a sand bottom wall height of 7”. I did order the foam cove with the pool, so i would not have to build with sand.

3” seems like a lot, but maybe it’s because of the bottom plates that tie the side buttress posts together? With this in mind, do I have an opportunity to use XPS foam here?

3” is a lot of XPS foam, it would have to be a couple of layers - which I’m ok with, but is there something with the bottom plates that makes sand a better choice?

What do you all think?

I am a big fan of foam cove. Since you are using the foam cove, you are just concerned about your sand base. The sand is there to level the bottom, cushion it, protect the liner, and to some extent provide drainage. The recommended depth varies depending on manufacturer, but between 2 and 3 inches is "normal". Usually if you are using foam, you build up with some sand (maybe an inch or so, and then put the foam over that). Sand is going to fill in over the buttress connectors easier than trying to channel out foam to fit.

Reactions: HeidiP
Hello! So sorry - it’s been a busy week. I’m glad you went with the foam cove - that’s what I did with mine. We went for sand base and I’m happy with it.

Hello! So sorry - it’s been a busy week. I’m glad you went with the foam cove - that’s what I did with mine. We went for sand base and I’m happy with it.

I had a sand base and did not like the way people would put "dents" in it - basically heel marks.

I went with a pad (not a Gorilla Pad, but similar) this time. I have not used the pool with the pad in it yet, so who knows how well it works. I guess I will find out.

I had a sand base and did not like the way people would put "dents" in it - basically heel marks.

I went with a pad (not a Gorilla Pad, but similar) this time. I have not used the pool with the pad in it yet, so who knows how well it works. I guess I will find out.
Have sand base too, and this time I will be levelling the sand base and then adding a gorilla pad on top, and using foam cove (and insulating foam on the inside of the walls...)

Did you use Gorilla pad with no sand, or just over your old sand? Cheers!

Have sand base too, and this time I will be levelling the sand base and then adding a gorilla pad on top, and using foam cove (and insulating foam on the inside of the walls...)

Did you use Gorilla pad with no sand, or just over your old sand? Cheers!
Over my old sand