Pool Eating Chlorine

I'm breaking down.. Had the pool last few years. Never had any issues. This year opened up with some yellow spots on a few walls. Shocked upon opening, brushed the walls then started my normal routine. Shock with liquid chlorine and threw a puck in each skimmer (left over chlorine from last year, I know you guys hate pucks. ;)) Few hours after shocking high chlorine levels, next day just about nothing. Friend says CYA could be low. According to my taylor kit its thru the roof high. I just checked before writing this and I couldnt see dot and it hasn't hit 100 yet. Last test at pool company had it at 70, not sure how accurate that is. Phosphates were also high and used a phosphate remover.

Last night threw 3 gallons of chlorine in, tested this am very strong. By afternoon just about gone again. No pucks in skimmers now. Gonna try straight liquid for a few days. Pump runs 12 hours a day. pH and all other levels are good. Weather has been in 80s and 90's. Gets sun most of the day..

Pool looks great, never better..

WTH????

Sorry to be curt, but I see that you joined 3 years ago, but it doesn't seem like you have been paying attention. You need to SLAM (Shock Level And Maintain) your pool. To perform a proper SLAM you need to know your CYA level. DO NOT TRUST POOL STORE CYA TESTS. According to your Taylor kit you CYA is over 100. In order to get an estimate of how high it really is you should test again with your sample diluted 50/50 with tap water and multiply the result by 2. It is impractical to SLAM at CYA levels above 90, so replacing water is likely in your future.

With a CYA of 150 unless up you have held the FC at a minimum of 12 you have been susceptible to organic growth. You probably have something growing.

You need to exchange water to get the CYA into a reasonable range and SLAM Process the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.