pool dust issue

Jan 5, 2017
sydney, au
Hi all, I have a 40,000 litre pool. I have a saltwater cell and a sand filter (filter is fairly new, no cracked lateral etc). My water test is perfect. I've slammed the pool, hoping that it might be algae, but it isn't. I've had this dust problem for a while now, and have slammed (properly) twice. Many months later, I even tried an algaecide, didn't help, but at least I knew that it was dust. The dust is too fine, it goes through the skimmer sock and sand filter. I've vacuumed to waste and so I lose a fair bit of water. Swimming in it sucks because once it gets stirred the pool isn't as clear and having the dust go up my nose isn't pleasant. I'm currently using a vet vacuum. Once vacuumed, I let the dirt settle and then put that vacuumed water back in the pool so I don't waste any water. This wet vac system has been the most efficient so far. I tried one of those gel cubes but it didn't improve the filtering, dust still went through filter.

Anyone have this issue? Anyone found a proper solution? A chemical etc? Would DE powder work? In Australia DE is not available, it's banned I heard due to health concerns here.

Would changing the sand to glass fix this?

I don't recall having this issue with a 0.75hp pump, I've used a 1hp pump for the last few seasons.

Cheers

Nick

hey nick
de is available at large pool stores, i had no trouble buying it end of last year season
de worked great with the sand filter
but something funky happened with the glass, i added de. the pressure rose
next time pump turned off then back on again pressure was back to normal
so i think the de went through the glass and into the pool
as to the dust, i have the same problem, i switched to glass and if anything it is worse
the only thing i have found that clears it up is using the robot with the pleated covers

hey nick
de is available at large pool stores, i had no trouble buying it end of last year season
de worked great with the sand filter
but something funky happened with the glass, i added de. the pressure rose
next time pump turned off then back on again pressure was back to normal
so i think the de went through the glass and into the pool
as to the dust, i have the same problem, i switched to glass and if anything it is worse
the only thing i have found that clears it up is using the robot with the pleated covers

ok thx for that info, looks like I'll stick to the wet vacuuming and occasional vac to waste.

Hey Nick,

My pool is currently surrounded by dirt & dust as my paving has not been laid as yet. It has been like this for a number of months now.

I use a robot to manage any fine dust/dirt.

My pool is white and any small amount of dust/dirt etc shows up real quick - generally for my pool I do not consider dust & dirt an issue though.

I pretty much just give the steps and ledges a quick once over with my soft pool brush to push the dirt etc to the floor.

I then wait 15 to 30 or so minutes and then simply run my robot which leaves the pool & floor spotless.

One other thing to check - At what speed do you normally run your pump at?

Running at lower speeds will actually allow your filter to operate better.

Also - if your sand filter is 'too' clean it will not filter as good as one which has had some run time. When the filter is a bit dirty so to speak, it can capture finer particles - so don't backwash the filter too much - rely on the pressure gauge to aid you in when to backwash - Only backwash when the pressure increases to around 25% from when it has been fully cleaned previously.

Lastly - Are you really sure it is 'dust' as you state the following: "once it gets stirred the pool isn't as clear and having the dust go up my nose isn't pleasant"

Generally that would require a huge amount of dirt/dust to be in the water for it to cause the whole pool to become cloudy and secondly for you to be able to 'feel' it in your nose suggests that it may not be just a case of a little dust in the pool.

Do you have a photo of the pool when it is cloudy and can you post up a set of full test results of your water - preferably using your own test kit (aka Clear Choice Labs kit etc)?

Below is my cleaner coming up at the deep end (1.8m)... Water looks TFP clean... :)

If it is dirt from your surrounding soil, any good robot or manual vacuum will take it out of the pool. A working sand filter catches dirt just fine so it sounds like you are not brushing and vacuuming as often as you need to. Vacuuming to waste is REALLY a waste......let your filter or cleaner do it's job. There is no need to dump your water.....just get the dirt out.

If it is dirt from your surrounding soil, any good robot or manual vacuum will take it out of the pool. A working sand filter catches dirt just fine so it sounds like you are not brushing and vacuuming as often as you need to. Vacuuming to waste is REALLY a waste......let your filter or cleaner do it's job. There is no need to dump your water.....just get the dirt out.

Sand filter and sand was changed and still same issue. Used the best sand, proper sand for sand filter. Sand filter not trapping this super fine dirt. Vacuuming it on the filter setting makes it look clean for 12-24 hrs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.