Justin9314

Silver Supporter
Feb 21, 2021
Northern Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hello All,

I plan to start my DIY kit in about a month. I have been reading thread after thread on here looking for trick and tips. I noticed there was a handful of threads that mentioned they waited to install their pool deck for about a year to let the ground settle. Is this a thing? It makes sense in my mind but I also wonder how thousands of people install a pool deck at the time of construction with no issues. If I were to wait, do you just backfill with stone most of the way then some dirt to help shed water? Thoughts?

Again, thank you everyone on this forum. What a wealth of knowledge and it is just awesome that you all are willing to use your valuable time helping people like me!

If you backfill with #57 / 3/4 clean gravel with a light tamp you can put in a deck right afterwards... if you use dirt backfill it will settle over a year or 2 and then you can put a deck on and pray it does not settle more because it will crack.. It will crack anyway but that is why you put the joints in and it will crack along the joints..

If you backfill with #57 / 3/4 clean gravel with a light tamp you can put in a deck right afterwards... if you use dirt backfill it will settle over a year or 2 and then you can put a deck on and pray it does not settle more because it will crack.. It will crack anyway but that is why you put the joints in and it will crack along the joints..

Thank you! I do plan to use stone as the backfill. Is there any harm in using stone and waiting until next spring to pour the deck? Our budget is tight this year but with an annual bonus next year we could put in stamped concrete without a compromise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.