Pool Deck Separation from Shell

Do you all think the poly foam is a good option - the individual isn’t guranteeing it will close the gap but seemed to indicate it won’t get worse.

Thank you for the rod idea, another I was thinking is why not just fill the space with foam or concrete.

on the water aspect Yup I need to drain the water don’t know how have been looking for a professional

I just want to interrupt this for a minute and warn you about draining a pool in high ground water area like Orlando. You risk the pool floating up like an empty boat if you empty it entirely. Please consider your options- fix the water that is in there, or drain and fill at the same time.

Maddie 🐞

I just want to interrupt this for a minute and warn you about draining a pool in high ground water area like Orlando. You risk the pool floating up like an empty boat if you empty it entirely. Please consider your options- fix the water that is in there, or drain and fill at the same time.

Maddie 🐞
Thank you - I appreciate that feedback. Basically we had rents in there for 5 years and the pool has been in place this property before we bought it for a total 15+ years.

I am working to renovate pieces of the house and the pool being one main area but am a novice in all matters. I had a pool cleaning company during the 5 years but apparently they neglected several areas including informing of some issues I'm running into now.

I asked them if they could drain but they said they are not experienced, so was looking to see if someone can drain so we can do some repairs as well. Basically, don't feel comfortable with the water that is in there even with treatment, so inexperienced pool users we are like lets just drain this out - fix - and fill it in with clean slate of water.

Thank you - I appreciate that feedback. Basically we had rents in there for 5 years and the pool has been in place this property before we bought it for a total 15+ years.

I am working to renovate pieces of the house and the pool being one main area but am a novice in all matters. I had a pool cleaning company during the 5 years but apparently they neglected several areas including informing of some issues I'm running into now.

I asked them if they could drain but they said they are not experienced, so was looking to see if someone can drain so we can do some repairs as well. Basically, don't feel comfortable with the water that is in there even with treatment, so inexperienced pool users we are like lets just drain this out - fix - and fill it in with clean slate of water.
In the first picture it looked like chlorine would clear it up. Are you not putting in any chlorine now?

I used to do concrete repair work (not pools) and it looks like tree roots but it’s odd that there are no cracks with that much movement. There is no real way of telling what is going on under the concrete until you cut and break it out. Could also be a drain separation causing the erosion and sinking especially with Florida rains. To get by for now just stick some foam backing rod in there and fill the gap with some 3m polyurethane sealant. That stuff is tough and stays flexible. Practice on something before making a mess all over the tile learning how to finish it.

It is very unfortunate the homeowner is going through this headache. Seeing this makes me glad to have rebar that ties the pool deck to the bond beam around the parameter of my pool.

Good luck with your repairs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’d really like to find a way to cut away the cantilevered portion of the deck overhang cleanly (it’s a freeform pool so a concrete saw doesn’t cut curves well) and replace it with coping tiles. I can do flat concrete work but the forms for the cantilever don’t look as simple as regular forms.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.