Pool deck replace or refinish

Jordada

May 3, 2020
Northern Kentucky
I have around 1000 sqft of concrete pool decking. One section (around 100 sq ft) is cracked and hollow and will have to be replaced. The remainder has some cracks or crumbling around the edge and especially the cantilevered coping. It definitely needs work. The current deck has a Kooldeck coating. I have received a few estimates and options so far and I'm not really sure which direction to go.

1) Replace the one section, "chase out" the cracks, patch/repair, apply knockdown texture and seal with acrathane colorseal - $13K
2) Same as 1 with the addition of scarifying and grinding down the whole deck. I'm not sure what this means, but it is being presented as a uniform look whereas the first option will try to be matched?- $18K
3) Remove the whole deck and replace with travertine tile - $21K

I love the look of the travertine, but not quite sure we want to spend that much. However, I'm also worried that repairing what we have may end up needing more repairs sooner rather than later. I want it to last as long as possible. We spent a lot of money in Sept refinishing the surface of the pool, new tile and all new equipment. It is starting to feel like we could have just built a whole new pool. Anyone have experience with these options and how did it turn out? Also, are these prices on par with what you would expect? The concrete estimates are from one contractor and travertine from another.

Pic of most of the deck attached.

Attachments

• IMG_6386.jpg
    IMG_6386.jpg
    782 KB · Views: 27
I would get some more quotes... option 1 sounds a bit high and 2 even more so... maybe not though. New concrete goes around 10-13 a sqft and cool deck likely a few more above that. Travertine price looks reasonable or about what I would expect. But only way to know is more quotes for your area. It is a gorgeous pool area and travertine would look amazing but it does cost...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.