Pool deck question

mgmercurio

Jun 22, 2020
Louisville, Kentucky
Hi all...

I may be using the wrong forum to post this question and if so, I do apologize. However, I think a lot of folks on here build decks around their pools so I wanted to get a general opinion of the use of Deck Joist Tape?

Most deck builders have drunk the kool-aid and have jumped on the joist tape bandwagon. However, as a D.I.Y person (although have 25 plus years in construction) ...I am not totally sold on this EXPENSIVE concept yet. So I wanted to reach out to the forum and ask what the general consensus is....is deck joist tape a must or is it another way for the industry to make more money?

If any of you have built decks before, you know the cost can get pretty expensive. The addition of using deck joist tape in recent years just adds to that cost...and in some cases....adds to the cost by an extreme amount. As you tell by my attached picture of my current pool/deck build, this is a very large deck and adding joist tape to the entire deck would add over 1500.00 in costs. o_O

To me, it seems like this is just another way to create more revenue for the industry and squeeze more money out of the homeowner. I say this because, why is joist tape so important now in recent years ...in an industry that has been building LONG LASTING decks for almost 50 years? Why is it all of sudden a crucial part of the sustainability of the deck? To that point, why even have pressure-treated wood, if it is not going to last? I know I sound harsh to this concept, but I am just being skeptical because I am looking at a very large increase to my build. Also, I am very aware of the argument.... "well if your going to spend a lot of money on building a deck, then why not put in added protection to keep it lasting for 20 plus years?" My rebut would be.....I guarantee my deck is going to last 20+ years without the joist tape anyway....and with the high cost of pressure-treated wood...I would add...it BETTER last longer than 20 years...LOL LOL...

Anyway, what are the general thoughts of the group?

Thanks!
-mgm

Attachments

• pool1.PNG
    pool1.PNG
    261.7 KB · Views: 28
I personally see no reason to tape the skinny side of a board that has 12 inches of meat to it. If anything I’d worry about humidity / sweating and morning dew being trapped under the tape, doing exactly what it’s supposed to prevent.

Will it squeeze another 7 years out of a 30 year deck ? Perhaps. Will the deck boards / railings / stairs and legs need replacing anyway by then anyway ? Prolly. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: mgmercurio
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.