Pool Deck Material Travertine vs Porcelain etc

MDT

Jun 16, 2023
Knoxville, TN
We are planning a small fiberglass pool with a 450 sf deck in our small backyard in Knoxville, TN area. I have been reading about the different choices for a paver type deck and seems the more I researched the topic the more problems I find with each choice. I am willing to pay for something that looks good and the latest choice is travertine. We have some samples that have surface holes which caused me to look into this issue and now I am concerned about the issues with buying the best quality, freeze damage, staining, seal or not and would I just be buying an expensive problem? Have looked into porcelain also, but maybe I need to just go back to the cement paver idea.

Attachments

• IMG_6575.jpg
    IMG_6575.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 32
I have about 650 sq feet of travertine on a covered porch sitting on a 4" slab. I don't think I would use it again. It's seven years old, installed well, etc. but it is just not as durable as I had hoped. The holes fill with black algae or mold and it is difficult to keep new looking.

All walking surfaces have some drawbacks but travertine would not be my choice for a pool deck.

Brick?

Pavers?

My Cambridge pavers aren't artistic, I'd say they color more like a 3rd grader, but anyone who has seen it in person literally took a step back and/or gasped.

Screenshot_20231017_185746_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231017_185430_Gallery.jpg

• Love
Reactions: JamesW and an1vrsy
In my opinion, a really high quality limestone can be a great choice.

Contact some local stone suppliers and schedule a site visit to see the actual stones.

You want a hard, dense stone.

A good stone is difficult to scratch.

Cheap stones scratch easily.

I don’t like travertine due to the holes because they trap dirt and it looks ugly.

Talk to the experts at the stone place about what you want as far as finish, texture, slip resistance, heat characteristics etc.

Order from the stone yard directly and inspect the lot when it comes in to make sure it is exactly what you were expecting.

Another good choice is a really good sandstone.

For sandstone, the most durable is a quartzitic sandstone, which consists of interlocking quartz grains, cemented by silica.

You should inquire about the strength of the sandstone, which a good supplier should provide.

The stone’s data sheet should provide details about the compressive strength, the flexural strength, the porosity, the density, the hardness, the wet and dry Static Coefficient of Friction etc.

ASTM C616 classifies Quartz-Based Dimension Stone into three categories: Sandstone (Type I), Quartzitic Sandstone (Type II), and Quartzite (Type III). The stone is classified by the following physical properties: absorption by weight, density, compressive strength, modulus of rupture, and abrasion resistance.

Sandstone is the weakest. I think that regular sandstone is not a good choice in most cases. It tends to be too weak and does not hold up well.

Quartzitic sandstone is very strong and durable. It is composed of grains of Quartz bonded by Silica. I think that the best choice in most cases for decks is a quartzitic sandstone. It has a good texture, a good slip resistant surface, and very good weatherability.

Quartzite is stone that was originally sandstone but has been heated and pressurized in the earth into a harder and more durable stone than sandstone. During heating and pressurization, the grains of sand are melted together. This tends to give quartzite a slicker surface. In cases of water immersion, especially with a salt pool, I think that a true quartzite is usually a better choice.

Tennessee Crab Orchard Stone is usually a quartzitic sandstone. It is sometime referred to as a quartzite, but I don't think that it is a true quartzite. Many stone suppliers will be able to tell you the physical properties and composition of the stone, and to which classification the stone belongs. If there is any question, you might want to consult with a stonemason.

You want a denser stone that has less open pore space. You should get a stone with a density of at least 150 pounds per cubic foot and a water absorption by weight of not more than 3%. Water absorption can cause freeze/thaw damage, and creates more damage from salts and other chemicals.

Reactions: Newdude
Thank you all for your input. I had told the builder I want Travertine, but we have not made out the contract yet.

My pool builder directed me to a local pool corp supplier https://www.nptpool.com/
The display of travertine looks fantastic, but for how long. I don't mind some effort to maintain it but I don't want it to crumble.
Less than 25 miles away is a manufacturing facility for Del Conca which has a nice 2 cm porcelain product Del Conca outdoor patio pool deck
that is also available through NPT.
It is difficult to judge by photos on the computer. I like the look of almost all the paver decks that I see.

My wife likes the look of the Travertine or stone deck look with the limited spaces between the stones, and I wonder if the showroom pieces will be representative of the product shipped out.

Thanks JamesW - Interesting stuff about the other stones "Quartzitic sandstone is very strong and durable" that I will have to check out. I do like a square cut stone.

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
NPT has Limestone and quartzitic sandstones.

cardinal-1.jpg

1697592290516.png

1697592348009.png

We are going with porcelain for our pool deck. The main reasons visual appeal, textured layer, non porous and overall low maintenance with porcelain. In our area it’s the same cost as travertine so it’s a no brainer for us. Below are some of the options our builder gave us. We are yet to choose between calacatta or roma.

Reactions: Newdude
We are going with porcelain for our pool deck. The main reasons visual appeal, textured layer, non porous and overall low maintenance with porcelain. In our area it’s the same cost as travertine so it’s a no brainer for us. Below are some of the options our builder gave us. We are yet to choose between calacatta or roma.

2 cm is 0.787402”, which will require a concrete base with mortar and grout.

Also, porcelain seems like it would be slippery.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2 cm is 0.787402”, which will require a concrete base with mortar and grout.

Also, porcelain seems like it would be slippery.
Yes, we are going with concrete base.

These ones didn’t feel slippery at all. They have a textured layer which felt more stable than travertine.

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.