Pool day 1 on Friday

mdias

Jun 1, 2018
Stafford Springs, CT
We are having our pool set up and filled on Friday. I have my test kits ready to go. The water company is delivering basically drinking water for the pool.
I am going out to shop for chemicals tonight and have a list of bleach, CYA, and muriatic acid to have on hand once I do the inital tests.
Are there any other chemicals I should have on hand so I can get this done right the 1st time?

The App is suggesting 125oz of CYA and 146oz of 6% bleach (I will get higher if I find it)
Should I get borax and baking soda in preparation as well?

So excited, but nervous I am going to mess it up!

Hi - congrats on the new pool :)

No, no need to buy unnecessary chemicals "just in case" as they're readily available *if* you were to need them. Most folks don't right off.

Do a full set of test levels but don't bother doing the CYA as it won't have any. I see you only have the K-2005 test kit. It doesn't have the necessary FAS-DPD chlorine tester in it but you can buy that individually and that will make your kit the equivalent and allow you to test up to 50ppm. This is important.
TFTestkits.net

How do you plan to continue to chlorinate? With liquid chlorine? Or have you considered a SWG?

Maddie :flower:

Sounds to me like somebody has been studying a few pages on the Pool School!! Good job, mdias.

I've had my pool open for just two weeks so far but so far all I've needed was bleach, the Clorox CYA dry powder and about 2 cups of baking soda. (although your mileage may vary) I can tell you to please be careful with adding the CYA to begin with. If Pool Math is suggesting you add 125oz to reach your goal, you JUST MIGHT want to start with about 2/3 or 3/4 of that amount. Work up to it slowly because you can increase it quite easily but it's a devil of a thing trying to decrease it (without a major drainage of pool water).

24,000 gallons is a pretty awesome size AGP. You and your 30 closet family members and neighbors gonna have tons of fun swimming in that thing all at the same time!! ** just kidding

Yes I have been reading obsessively! The FAS-DPD test kit is on the way. I had purchased the other kit and couldn't refund, so I had to add that one.
I am doing liquid chlorine as that seems the easiest for right now.

It is a huge pool. The home we purchased previously had that size and was fit to the deck, so we just thought we'd duplicate it, but I can see now that is it a monster. lol
But our 2 girls and alllllll of their friends and giant floaties will have a blast.

So in all my list is ok for a start? And I will take your advice and start smaller on the CYA- should I do that with the chlorine as well?

I know the kids are going to be chomping at the bit to get in Friday night :)

Yes, your list is fine. Be aware that the water will still be cold Friday night, but excited kids seem not to mind that.

MrBfromNC is right... go easy on the CYA and sneak up on your goal. The more CYA you have in there, the more bleach you'll need to add.

Have you discovered how to use PoolMath yet? You put your current numbers in the far left column, then your desired goal numbers in the "Target" column. Remember to go down to the bottom and answer the three questions in yellow- vinyl, troublefreepool, and bleach <--answers to yellow section. And put your gallons at the top!
Then PoolMath will do all the figuring to tell you how much to add of any chemical you need. Cool, right?? :)

Let us know if other questions pop up. We'll be around and thinking of you FUNDAY FRIDAY!! A picture would be nice <hint! hint!>

No need to do partial doses wit the chlorine - add what the pool math says to add. It breaks down with UV exposure so there is not really any risk with overdosing. Water is safe to swim in up to the shock level of your CYA and you should never get there unintentionally with normal dosing.

Nope, you can go with the full recommendation from Pool Math on the liquid chlorine (LC). Especially if your pool will be exposed to lots of direct sunshine. It'll drop in FC levels pretty quick from day to day and that's why you'll need to test for it pretty much every single day.

Give the CYA (3/4 dose) a couple of days and then retest. And then add more as needed. You just don't want to go over your desired level.

Your FC will probably go faster those first days than later when all the CYA is in there to shield it. So be good about testing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes def a 30 foot- 54 in high pool. Or at least that's what I ordered!
It's this one here: 30'x54 Quest Round Pool
I upgraded the liner to the 40gauge though.

I do have the pool math app and it is super easy to use, thank goodness!
Ok so all in for chlorine, ease back on the cya.
Thanks!!

Your actual water depth in a 54 in. pool will probably be around 48-50 inches giving you a volume of 17600-18300 gallons, unless you are planning on doing a deep center with an expandable liner? If you have varying depths, you take an average.

Please don't dose your pool to 24k gallons! Pool Math has the volume calculator at the bottom.

Your actual water depth in a 54 in. pool will probably be around 48-50 inches giving you a volume of 17600-18300 gallons, unless you are planning on doing a deep center with an expandable liner? If you have varying depths, you take an average.

Please don't dose your pool to 24k gallons! Pool Math has the volume calculator at the bottom.

Thanks for the correction! I did use the pool math calcualtor and input exactly what it was but it didn't tell me to take into account a different height.
I suppose I'll wait and see what the water truck fills it to and use that instead since the calculator can't be 100% accurate depending on where they fill it to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.