Pool Covers

Jun 21, 2017
Plymouth/MN
Hi all - Just moved into a house with a pool last week. Have my TF-100 kit ordered, chlorine purchased, etc. but am wondering whether or not I should get a summer cover? Pool is in-ground, approx 20x40 and in Minnesota climate so it's a relatively short season. Already have a manual cover reel, which seems to be the majority of the cost. Is it worth the hassle of pulling on/off? Not much for trees in the area so limited leaves end up in the pool without one.

Michigan pool owner here. I have a summer cover that I use during cooler stretches, or when I know I won't be in the pool for at least a couple days at a time. Helps cut down on heat and water loss, and has the added benefit of keeping junk out of the pool.

I agree with mburn16. I too use a cover during the summer. Not so much for keeping the pool warm (although I do like it toasty!) but to keep the sun from baking my chlorine out if it's a few days between swimming.

Thanks all! I have not heated the pool (yet) as I need to make sure I can keep the PH where it needs to be so it doesn't fry my heater (or so I've been told).

mburn16 and dcloer - Do you heat 24/7? I can see the cover being a huge benefit if you do. I think the chlorine issue is also one of the main reasons I have thought about it. Seems like ~300 should be the max I would spend on a cover.

@YippeeSkippy - Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.