Pool Cover Pull Bar and roller retrieve

terryking

Bronze Supporter
Dec 19, 2012
West Topsham, Vermont USA
Hi Everyone, THANKS to this group; I have had such excellent results with TFP approach with my 16x32 oval onground vinyl liner pool here in Vermont USA. Chemicals from Walmart and Hardware store (Muriatic Acid) only for 5 years. NEVER any algae. NEVER anything other than CLEAR. (Some leaves in spring startup of course) but immediate Cl to 12ppm and NO algae.
I have an 8x24 foot solar heater that makes Vermont a pool state for everyone.

I have had a bubble-type oval cover for 4 years but it finally really deteriorated. Pulling it off the roller storage was difficult.. needed two people.. one on each side, with straps suggested. Was getting really ripped up pulling it out.

I wanted the New This Year pool cover to be able to be evenly pulled out with very even pull on the oval end of the cover. By one person with a rope from far end of pool. But nice and even. So: What I Did: (Photos Follow)
-- Got a 1-1/2 in dia white PCV pipe 10 ft long, and two end caps which I PVC cemented on
-- Laid out the pipe on the oval cover end while mostly on the roller
-- Laid out pattern and cut small slits for Zipties to connect to the pipe.
-- Cut a slit to attach the rope in center (two sets of clove hitch (AKA 2 half-hitches) tight each side of center. Gorilla taped to the pipe so it can't move/slide.
-- Laid out the zipties and rope, Tightened onto pipe so that the pull is on the pipe and even across the width of the pipe. The rope is pulling the pipe so the cover wraps around the pipe evenly.

Works Well For Me: PHOTOS: (AHHH Sorry the sequence didn't work ... )

ThePool.JPG

Attachments

• Rolling cover back.JPG
    Rolling cover back.JPG
    787.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Cover just in place from pull.JPG
    Cover just in place from pull.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • Cover in place Pullrope Stowed.JPG
    Cover in place Pullrope Stowed.JPG
    614.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Nice even pull little stress on cover.JPG
    Nice even pull little stress on cover.JPG
    934.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Ready first pull.JPG
    Ready first pull.JPG
    925.6 KB · Views: 14
  • ZipTiesTied tobetrimmed.JPG
    ZipTiesTied tobetrimmed.JPG
    700 KB · Views: 12
  • Layout.JPG
    Layout.JPG
    700 KB · Views: 11
  • attaching poolcover pullbar.JPG
    attaching poolcover pullbar.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • NewCoverOnRoller.JPG
    NewCoverOnRoller.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your technique! Solar covers sure are a PITA but man do they make a difference with heat retention in our northern climates.

Far out! Well done. Thanks for the pics so others can see how to do it your way. :goodjob:
Lately Zip Ties are working their way onto my husband's list of survival tools: Zip Ties, hundred mile and hour tape, and wire coat hangers. :)

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.