NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I had the pool company measure for a mesh safety cover and they came to winterize and install yesterday. They winterized it but had to take the cover back because it fit the entire pool except for my sun deck. The sun deck section was measured to the exact sun deck size no 14” wider all around.
Anyway they said they have to rush order a new one. In the meantime the pool is winterized which is good, but should I slam it and let the chlorine levels go down to normal and keep doing it until the new cover is in? Is stirring the chlorine in with the hand skimmer enough along with maybe putting in the robot cleaner to move things around more. Is the slam chlorine level make it dangerous for bleaching the gunite. Especially since the waterline is down on the gunite I don’t want to create an obvious line of where the bleaching occurred. Or is it safe to put the robot vacuum in at slam chlorine levels?
The entire reason I waited to close was to avoid algae. I can keep it clean from debris but the exposed sun I’m guessing will make it more prone to algae when we get warm days here and there or am I overthinking this. I’d love to hear suggestions.

No worries Liz !!! Test and add as usual until the cover comes. Daily demand is down so it won’t be as rigorous as you’re used to. Heck, at Slam level it will last quite some time before it gets even close to target range. Bring it back to Slam when it does. The robot will mix it fine but I’d personally spend 10 minutes with the pool brush and not wait for the robot to get whatever puddles on the bottom.

Up to and including Slam levels per the FC/CYA Levels is safe for all people, robots, finishes and equipment. (y)

Perfect thanks, I’m completely out of muriatic acid. Do I need to continue to add acid for ph rise too or just worry about chlorine?

Just the chlorine. The PH test is invalid at 10+ FC. It will read abnormally high giving you a false need to lower it. Or if it is actually a little high, you won’t know for sure how much you need to adjust it.

I see no reason to bring up to SLAM level while you wait for your pool cover to be redone. Just test FC and pH every few days and dose accordingly. If you choose to, bring pH down to 7.2 (as long as FC is below 10) and add chlorine to SLAM level just before they put on the cover.

Use your brush and maybe the robot to help mix it all in.

Did they give any indication as to when the cover will be ready?

Reactions: borjis and Newdude
I’m waiting on them to let me know. The fact that I can see the still water drives me crazy.

The reason I said slam is I know u guys recommend it prior to closing anyway and I figured it will be much longer before I have to dose it again. I’m trying to avoid daily dosing especially with being spoiled with a swg.

It’s a double edged sword. More FC will last longer but said FC burns off at a %, so a faster rate at higher levels. You’ll waste (1/3 ?) of it by Slamming now. I’m on team lazy tho, and wouldn’t mind losing $20 in chlorine in the meantime now that my brain would have shifted to non pool things.

So up to you. Either keep at the daily chlorine tests, which are probably every 3rd day with less demand now or just SLAM it and make it last a week or two at a clip.

Reactions: Liz315
Last question, since he winterized he added some winterizing chemical in it he said not to fill the water back to normal and turn the pump back on because it will be tones of suds anyone know what chemical would have been added? Algaecide? Will this effect the way I handle things? Can I still add chlorine? He told me not to last night but I don’t want a swamp in my backyard. He said just let it sit and run the robot vacuum every now and then.

When they do come to the cover on should I insist they put more winterizing chemicals in?

he said not to fill the water back to normal and turn the pump back on because it will be tones of suds anyone know what chemical would have been added? Algaecide?
Probably at least that. But being one with access to lord knows what kind of magical potions, it could also be lots of things.
When they do come to the cover on should I insist they put more winterizing chemicals in?
Preferably you handle it yourself just before they come, or the day before. Then you know exactly what you added and that it was actually needed in the first place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
*you don’t want to reuse the pump if the lines have been blown out, as they’ll have to be done again. So brush and/or robot any adds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.