Pool company closing...used to clean filter, now doesn't?!

Jul 10, 2012
Herndon, VA
Moved into house in 2012 and used pool service previous owners used.

Last year the guy comes to close the pool, and then after he left, I noticed that he didn't clean the filter as he had done the previous four closings. He said he forgot, then came back and did it.

$325 is the price we'd been paying.

He just came by and closed the pool today, and once again, no cleaning the filter. Now his price is $350.

Isn't cleaning the filter standard closing pool procedure?

For an extra 20 minutes of work, this dope just lost the account, and has forced me to take this upon myself next year.

For an extra 20 minutes of work, this dope just lost the account, and has forced me to take this upon myself next year.

A total of $350 for a pool closing is quite excessive, at least in my opinion. Please read through pool school and this thread:

The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool - Page 2

You could purchase a Cyclone, hose, cover and adapters and create your own modified cover. Please upload some pictures and describe the pool (returns, skimmers, main drains). Pictures of the equipment pad from front top, front and sides would be best. We will help you close your pool.

Cartridge filters add time to a Closing that a sand filter doesn't. I'm guessing in any job if more time is needed, then that job will cost more. It's not hard to close your own pool, many on here chose to do so and have saved a lot of money doing so. I believe this forum is more about owners taking over their pools and truly owning them.

My pool guy never cleaned the two filters also and I was being charged for it. I took over my pool this year. It's because of reading and learning from trouble free pools. My bills were $100 a month. One month it was $550. He charged $150 to clean the filter. I know he didn't do it. That's when I said good by. Just read on here and you will be ok. Good luck

How long does it take usually for a professional closing? What would be a fair price?

This question is hard to answer. It all depends on the pool and how long it takes. Some areas are more expensive than others. Most pool closings should take about 1 hour. That is with a small crew. If the PB has to wait so you can find plugs, Gizmo's and cover items, then that is a different story. They have a time schedule. IMO, the average price for a PB is around $250. The average price for someone on the side is about $150-$175 +, again all depends on the pool and size of the cover.

This is why closing and opening my own pool makes sense. At $350 to $550 for opening/closing for the year, is it really worth it for the 3 hours that I spend. You have to figure out what your cost is worth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.