Pool Cloudy After Adding DE

May 3, 2015
Moorpark, CA
I've never had a problem with this before. I took the filter apart and cleaned the grids, put it back together. I took a bucket, put a measured amount of DE, and added water mixing it in. I put it in the skimmer housing (without the skimmer and restrictor) SLOWLY. Everything seemed fine, and I turned the pump off, put the skimmer back in, and turned the pump back on. Then DE started coming out of the vents, and the water turned very cloudy.

I can't think of anything I did differently, other than I used "Pool Time" DE from Home Depot, instead of the Chlorox DE I had been using before.

Any thoughts?

Is it possible you have a missing o-ring (or dislodged) or similar where the septums are attached to whatever distributor this filter uses?

Working this through. Pressure on all okay.

Pressure off - DE falls and the filter relaxes this is when something can move

Pressure on - DE creeps through the tiny space and clouds pool immediately, then may stop if whatever moved is pushed back in place by pressure.

I took the filter apart, and found I had not seated one of the filter grids all the way in the hole. I ended up with five pounds of DE in the pool. I took the system apart, cleaned out the DE, put some DE back in the skimmer, and then started brushing DE from the bottom. Brushing would immediately cloud up the water. Most would settle back to the bottom, but some would be captured by the filter. I kept repeating this until about 3/4 of the DE had been collected. I then felt I could use the pool sweep to stir it up without some much DE in the water that it would damage the sweep. It's been about a week, and almost all of the DE has been collected in the filter.

If you have a pool sweep, I think you could shorten this time considerably by vacuuming it up. Unforutnately, I didn't have one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.