Pool Cleaner Power?

May 31, 2017
Lee, NY
Quick question, can you use an extension cord to connect to your pool cleaner? I ask because the closest outlet is some 30'-40' away and the GFI might even be further. I thought I read that your power connection has to be plugged straight to the outlet. Thanks,

It's advised by most manufacturers to not use an extension cord. The voltage drop across it means less input voltage to the transformer which means less volts available to the cleaner, which may lead to issues. I've had some customers get away with 10' or 25' cords and be fine though. Anything beyond that I'd consider having another outlet put in.

The voltage drop across it means less input voltage to the transformer which means less volts available to the cleaner, which may lead to issues.

A lot of cleaners use switch-mode power supplies which are not affected by relatively small voltage drops. Also these cleaners do not draw all that much current, so again the voltage drop on an extended run is not all that great.

The main reason is simply to do with safety.

When using an extension cord there is always the possibility of having water enter the connection point where the extension cable is connected to the original power cable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.