Pool Chiller Worth it? Houston Texas

FlyersDude21

Oct 23, 2023
Houston
First summer with a pool and get a good amount of summer sun until around 4-5 on parts of the pool. Houston summers can be rough in the 95-100+ for weeks on end.

Are separate pool chillers from Glacier or Aquacel worth it? They look to be about $2500-4k and not sure how much electricity they take to run.

Do they really have an effect vs getting a large umbrella that blocks out certain time sun?

We have 3 sizable waterfall/features as well. Would they help?

I can get by with using this in the Dallas area. I will usually install them in Aug and take them out in Sept. I would recommend giving them a shot for $100 or so before you bite the bullet on a chiller.

IMG_0263.jpegIMG_5542_Original.jpeg

I use the cheapo version

They have some double ones as well.

On my old pool I made one from pvc.
If I get it running early enough I stave off that bath water feeling.

My neighbor has an inground without a fountain & his will be boiling while mine is still refreshing.
My ph & ta are quite stable even with the fountain going through the middle & end of summer.

View attachment 577209View attachment 577210

I use the cheapo version

They have some double ones as well.

On my old pool I made one from pvc.
If I get it running early enough I stave off that bath water feeling.

My neighbor has an inground without a fountain & his will be boiling while mine is still refreshing.
My ph & ta are quite stable even with the fountain going through the middle & end of summer.
Is the Amazon one you linked any different than the one in the picture? I'm willing to try anything.

I typically had my pool pump running during the day but I'm assuming you just change that to run through the night with the fountain?

Is the Amazon one you linked any different than the one in the picture? I'm willing to try anything.

I typically had my pool pump running during the day but I'm assuming you just change that to run through the night with the fountain?
I have the exact one I linked.
I only have 1 jet that’s up high but you can use more than 1 fountain if you have more jets.
It doesn’t really matter if you run it in the day or the night.
When it’s really hot I will run a day or two in a row around the clock to help combat the heat. I have a single speed pump so in the middle of the summer I need to run longer hours so I can run my swcg anyway.
Do you have a variable speed, single speed or two speed pump?

Any reason to use these over some of the cheaper ones on Amazon?
I bought some cheaper ones from Pinch A Penny, and ended up returning them since the spray was more like a bubbler. To get it to spray/mist to help with the cooling I would have had to cap off some other returns and bump up the PRMs.

I'm sure there are cheaper options on Amazon that would work, I just didn't want to try them since I had already struck out once. If I were you, I would give the ones from Mdragger a shot, and if you don't like them try the more expensive ones. Still way cheaper than a chiller.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I do have a single speed 1.5hp pump so that helps me get quite a bit of air with mine.
I keep the little “door” on the pipe of the fountain open a tiny bit to still get some directional jet action so my skimming isn’t affected by its use.
I have 2 returns but one is near the pool floor. I sometimes close the bottom return’s valve a tiny bit to increase the flow to the fountain if it’s not making it halfway across the pool.
Ymmv with a lesser pump or running lower rpms.
Amazon return policy is fantastic so probably worth a shot.
I also have an above ground pool and don’t want to mist water all down the exterior steel wall all the time so I like the flow of the waterfall style that I can direct so the splash/mist zone is more in the center of the pool.