Pool chemistry automation

Apr 11, 2018
Texas
Howdy from Texas. Mods if this is the wrong place for this topic please feel free to move.

So so last week my pool was finished and it’s my first pool. I’m learning like drinking from a fire hose.

Its a salt water generator pool run by a Hayward Aqua Plus panel. It is approx 25000 gallons with spa.

Variable speed pump and polaris booster pump.

Its our weekend place and I’m interested in chemical automation but my pool builder seems a little less than experienced.

Hayward’s site is a little confusing so I thought I would seek help here.

Im interested in the CO2 injection system but unsure if the Aqua Plus panel is compatible. Apparently the pro logic is and there is conflicting information on the Aqua Plus. Any advice on how to automate CO2 would be appreciated.

I am not sure there are. The main problem with automating pH regulation is you are relying on an electronic sensor which has to be frequently calibrated to be accurate. I believe the best of them are incredibly expensive as well. Most people are able to get their TA down enough that pH rise is slow enough that manually correcting with acid from time to time isn't that much work. Obviously if you have high TA fill water it's a different story.

Hopefully if there is such thing as an automated solution someone will chime in.

edit: I got curious and found this, have you seen it? Sense and Dispense | Automation | In Ground Pool Automation - Hayward Pool Products

I have no idea how well it works.

thanks Bruce,

Yes that is the exact one I was looking at, but although it says it works with Aqua Plus, the manual only says Aqua Rite Pro and Pro Logic Panels. I was hoping someone would have first hand experience with Hayward systems to know if it will indeed work with Aqua Plus.

Give the article you linked earlier, perhaps acid dispensing like the one below is a better option but I'd was hoping someone would have first hand experience.

I can always take a shot at calling Hayward and see if they have someone who can walk me through it I suppose.

Sense and Dispense | Automation | In Ground Pool Automation - Hayward Pool Products

thanks Bruce,

Yes that is the exact one I was looking at, but although it says it works with Aqua Plus, the manual only says Aqua Rite Pro and Pro Logic Panels. I was hoping someone would have first hand experience with Hayward systems to know if it will indeed work with Aqua Plus.

Give the article you linked earlier, perhaps acid dispensing like the one below is a better option but I'd was hoping someone would have first hand experience.

I can always take a shot at calling Hayward and see if they have someone who can walk me through it I suppose.

Sense and Dispense | Automation | In Ground Pool Automation - Hayward Pool Products

I had the Sense & Dispense and Stenner Pump installed with my build last year when we built our pool and also using AquaPlus. I was thinking like you are it would make the water chemistry easier, the system worked good for about 2 months and one day when I was out by the pool I heard the Stenner dosing and dosing acid as the probe was reading high PH so I tested my water with my TF-100 and my PH was actually super low thanks to all the acid added. Cleaned and calibrated the probe and couple days later the same thing happened, put in warranty claim and got a new probe and same thing again. The Sense & Dispense is now disabled and ironically by keeping my TA at 60 I haven’t had to add any acid as my PH just sits right about 7.6 all the time. It’s a great idea in theory but doesn’t really work at least in my experience, save your money and use it elsewhere.

Salty

Salty, that is exactly the kind of real world experience I was hoping to hear. I was hoping that when we are gone on vacation for a couple of weeks I could have automation take care of things until i returned.

I'm studying pool chemistry and my head is spinning...

I'm also in the market for a good PH meter. Any suggestions? Not afraid to spend money if its better than some of the reviews I've read on the inexpensive ones.

Thanks again for helping the noob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.