Pool Builders Suffolk County, Long Island

Twinglemom

Jul 23, 2020
Long Island, New York
Just starting to look into having either a vinyl or gunite pool. I live in western Suffolk County, Long Island. We have a large yard - 2 acres. I'm thinking a 20 x 40 rectangle. Steps across the whole low end (4 ft?) . Possibly deep water bench. I would like a deep end @ 10 ft. I really want an automatic cover but I don't know if you can have one with a swim bench. Heat pump. I think gunite might be way too expensive here . I'm thinking @ 45ish for just pool. Am I way off??

I grew up in Setauket. Loved it in the 80’s and early 90’s, very suburban feel, not a lot of traffic. My parents sold our childhood home 6 years ago to be near the grandkids but were very happy to escape the high cost of living...

I think vinyl is probably the better approach as the few friends I remember with pools (honestly on LI, aside from COVID closures, why wound anyone need a pool when the beach is less than 20mins away...), all had vinyl pools. A gunite pool at the depths and size you are thinking of would cost WAAAAY MORE than $45k. In fact, a vinyl liner pool that size is probably going to blow past $45k too.

Only thing you can do is start contacting builders and get budgetary quotes. The pool building industry got slammed with work because of COVID closures and we’ve seen posts here about delays in getting pool equipment and structures because manufactures did not have enough supply capacity to meet demand. Given how late in the season it is, I sincerely doubt you’ll find a builder that could do anything before next year. I don’t suggest building a pool over the winter where you are as that could just be more of a hassle. I’d be looking to line up a pool design and builder and then aim to start in the early spring of 2021 so you can have a pool ready to go by Memorial Day.

Good luck and keep this thread posted with what you find.

Hey from Eastern Suffolk and Welcome !!

Automatic covers are great but they are $12k- $15k, possibly more for a 20X40.

Also, The heat pump just doesn’t have the BTUs to maintain as many gallons as you will be getting. The gas pumps have 3X the BTUs and will work however you want. With electric your light bill will be $2k+ for the season with lackluster pool heating in the cooler extended season. Might as well pay $2500 in gas and have it work whenever you want. (Source : have 20x40 with heat pump that has not been used in 6 years). Ideally in western Suffolk you have street gas and it will be cheaper than propane. We have to use propane out in the sticks.

I’m with Matt above that you’ll be in the general ballpark with a vinyl pool (just the pool and only 8ft deep) but a gunite pool would probably double your hopeful budget. Call around and go from there. We usually recommend 5 bids, but that may be hard to get these days.

Good luck and keep us posted. There are pros here that can help at every step of the way. From ideas to actual construction folks. You found a great spot.

I’m in western Suffolk on .6 acres and I’m in the process now. I’m paying around $38k for vinyl 18x36’ steel wall pool with heat pump, vs pump, salt water chlorine generator, and upgraded liner (27 mil textured).

My pool builder said the vinyl liner steel steps are nice but can be very slippery.

I am assuming you can add $30k to that for gunite.
If you are on 2 acres in western suffolk I assume you are in the town of Huntington?

I’m in western Suffolk on .6 acres and I’m in the process now. I’m paying around $38k for vinyl 18x36’ steel wall pool with heat pump, vs pump, salt water chlorine generator, and upgraded liner (27 mil textured).

My pool builder said the vinyl liner steel steps are nice but can be very slippery.

If you are on 2 acres in western suffolk I assume you are in the town of Huntington?
No. I'm in Smithtown

Rude of me I forgot to say thanks for the great info.

Reactions: jamjam
I’m at $44k with all the bells and whistles for a 34x48 concrete wall pool. Now the patio, that’s going to be the big bucks 😂

Did you get any quotes for gunite? I would venture to say you are looking at WAY more money going that route.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didn't get a quote for gunite because I knew it was out of my range.
We met my PB after a dressy function so I was in a suit and the Mrs was fancy too. For all he knew we were rich stockbrokers. When he went over the choices i casually asked if I could afford a gunite pool and he laughed and said no.
....... moving on then.... how much for the vinyl one.:ROFLMAO:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.