KenAnderson

Jan 12, 2021
Collinsville, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
What is your build time? The reason I'm asking is when we started ours in April (stake in the ground) we were told at contract signing in January about 5-6 weeks.
I understand weather delays in such but we are now at 101 days (14 weeks) and still not completed.
The equipment is set (no connection to electric or gas yet), the electric box and gas line is there but just need to be connected.
The automation equipment is on delay but they said they have enough to get it going for plastering.
Basically everything is done except the automation, pool prep for plastering and then finally plastering.

My wife keeps saying that we need to contact them weekly to find out what is next and I agree with her so, what I'm wondering is this a common practice?
I would prefer them to contact me but I guess that really does not happen that often.

Thanks for your time.
Ken

5-6 weeks seems fast...I'm surprised they even said that. My PB said 9-11 weeks and I am on week 12 and not close to done. I have started contacting them weekly at least as well. Not trying to be annoying but also don't want to be ignored if there are other customers complaining more!

I'll jump into this one. Keep in mind my experiences are more on the positive side as my PB had all materials and equipment stockpiled in anticipation for the shortages.
Contract signed: 29JAN21 - The PB estimated 8 weeks from dig to swim as a best case scenario
Dig Date: 08 May - Scheduled for 07 May but rain pushed it a day.
Pool Framing: 10-11 May
Coping/Tile: 25 May
Gunite: 27 May
Rough Grade: 29 May
Deck Pavers Install: 26 June
Electrical: 8 July
Plaster: 13 July
Pool Startup: 15 July
Final Grade/Cleanup: 20 July
Pool turnover: 21 July

All in all it took 10 weeks from dig to swim. I had to call the PB a couple times just to check in, but most of it was just waiting on an opening in scheduling for the various portions of construction, waiting for inspections, and some weather delays.

5-6 weeks seems fast...I'm surprised they even said that. My PB said 9-11 weeks and I am on week 12 and not close to done. I have started contacting them weekly at least as well. Not trying to be annoying but also don't want to be ignored if there are other customers complaining more!
It could be that they just did not know how bad it was going to be in 2021 with shortages in such?
So far the work that has been done been great, no issues with that at all! Would recommend this PB to anyone but the long wait time, it's eating on me.

It could be that they just did not know how bad it was going to be in 2021 with shortages in such?
So far the work that has been done been great, no issues with that at all! Would recommend this PB to anyone but the long wait time, it's eating on me.
Shortages plus increased demand for new pools has really stretched most PBs from everything I have observed here on this forum.

My cul-de-sac alone, myself and another home owner had new pool construction. He went with another PB and I haven't checked in with him on his timelines...but there is always some activity around his yard.

Hey Ken-

We signed in April but waited for the loan to clear in May. When we were getting quotes I asked each company-here's the equipment needed, do you currently have it in stock? From there I asked about the shortages others were experiencing such as gunite, concrete for decking, plaster, etc. and what their plans were to address those when our build started.

When he estimated 5-6 weeks but warned us weather could be a factor, I checked with other customers that used them to see what their timelines looked like and discovered all were within or slightly longer due to weather or changes they made in materials that led to delays-such as special ordering tile or coping, etc.

We've been incredibly fortunate that from the time we signed the contract our PB applied for the permits and began to lay out a tentative schedule-so when they dug on 7/7 they were here the following day to short plumb and do rebar and shot gunite a few days later. Last week he called us on Wednesday to say they wouldn't be out again until Monday because they needed special equipment to start the waterfall and he preferred to rent it at the beginning of the week.

All of that to say-without equipment shortages or construction scheduling demands and weather we would have been a 45 day build-but I credit that to our PB's planning. And my hubby checks in with them once a week even if crews are here working to ask how the timeline looks and what to expect next.

Hopefully your pool gets finished soon-I know we're impatient with my son's birthday 9 days away but after reading all of the other nightmare scenarios many are experiencing I am grateful the quality of work we've had done has been impressive.

Hey Ken-

We signed in April but waited for the loan to clear in May. When we were getting quotes I asked each company-here's the equipment needed, do you currently have it in stock? From there I asked about the shortages others were experiencing such as gunite, concrete for decking, plaster, etc. and what their plans were to address those when our build started.

When he estimated 5-6 weeks but warned us weather could be a factor, I checked with other customers that used them to see what their timelines looked like and discovered all were within or slightly longer due to weather or changes they made in materials that led to delays-such as special ordering tile or coping, etc.

We've been incredibly fortunate that from the time we signed the contract our PB applied for the permits and began to lay out a tentative schedule-so when they dug on 7/7 they were here the following day to short plumb and do rebar and shot gunite a few days later. Last week he called us on Wednesday to say they wouldn't be out again until Monday because they needed special equipment to start the waterfall and he preferred to rent it at the beginning of the week.

All of that to say-without equipment shortages or construction scheduling demands and weather we would have been a 45 day build-but I credit that to our PB's planning. And my hubby checks in with them once a week even if crews are here working to ask how the timeline looks and what to expect next.

Hopefully your pool gets finished soon-I know we're impatient with my son's birthday 9 days away but after reading all of the other nightmare scenarios many are experiencing I am grateful the quality of work we've had done has been impressive.
Wow that is great! I sent an email this morning and got an reply, they said plaster by the end of this week! Crossing fingers.

Shortages plus increased demand for new pools has really stretched most PBs from everything I have observed here on this forum.

My cul-de-sac alone, myself and another home owner had new pool construction. He went with another PB and I haven't checked in with him on his timelines...but there is always some activity around his yard.
I have a sister in Houston that's building a new pool and the same thing down there as well as up here in Oklahoma with things taking longer.
With her living in a development / HOA took sometime to get approved but with me I have none of that but wide open space!

Yeah my build is going at snails pace too. Picture perfect day today as well as Friday. My team said they wouldn't be here on Friday (don't know why, should start asking but trying not to be that guy) but said they would be here today. Today no show. I would just like to know week to week what is the plan. Construction manager dropped gravel on Friday so the team could continue today and do the piping but nobody showed up. I have ruled out swimming this year in my head. We have a vacation starting on the 20th and will be gone for two weeks. The wife doesn't want anyone in house (electrician or plumber) so they can do outside stuff. I just don't get the randomness as PVC pipe is here, gravel is here so what's the deal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah my build is going at snails pace too. Picture perfect day today as well as Friday. My team said they wouldn't be here on Friday (don't know why, should start asking but trying not to be that guy) but said they would be here today. Today no show. I would just like to know week to week what is the plan. Construction manager dropped gravel on Friday so the team could continue today and do the piping but nobody showed up. I have ruled out swimming this year in my head. We have a vacation starting on the 20th and will be gone for two weeks. The wife doesn't want anyone in house (electrician or plumber) so they can do outside stuff. I just don't get the randomness as PVC pipe is here, gravel is here so what's the deal.
I agree the lack of communication needs to be improved (good or bad). If they just update on when things are going to be done or not is all I need to keep from contacting them. But when things slow down rest assure that I will be contacting them.

Wow that is great! I sent an email this morning and got an reply, they said plaster by the end of this week! Crossing fingers.
Well, just too good to be true, cancelled for this week. They said the plaster people are out of Luna Quartz and not sure when the next shipment will be coming in. They will contact me when that happens. <shaking head>

I agree the lack of communication needs to be improved (good or bad). If they just update on when things are going to be done or not is all I need to keep from contacting them. But when things slow down rest assure that I will be contacting them.
Agreed, I have been patient because this year is unlike any other year and so far all questions have been answered with the TFP correct answers so I have confidence no corners are being cut. Contractors in general in NJ in my 31 year experience living here have been weak on communication from plumbers, electricians, roofers, framers, cable, etc etc not showing up with zero communication. How many of us have taken days off in our life to have nobody show up. The inspector in our town was supposed to come last week between 7am-9am. No show and no communication and then showed up at 4:30. Total lost day for the PB as they couldn't move further along until pressure test was done. In any other industry you don't communicated or provide quality customers service you lose your customer. In the age of email and text a quick note is all it takes just let people know. Frankly its just basic consideration that they would want themselves.

Last edited:
I'm having a semi-in ground put in. I was told a month for the installation I was also told it would start in June they didn't start until July 7th it went a week with nothing at all getting done I emailed to find out he is waiting on something. Today they did the electric. So guessing there will be an inspection before they hook everything up. I have my fingers crossed they have it done this week.

My builder has a type A, perfectionist personality like myself. He takes very good care of his subcontractors, and they take care of him in return.

We signed Mach 18, 2021. Broke ground April 30. 2 weeks after permits were approved. We were swimming on June 17. Gunite, pebble finish, lots of concrete work. He originally said 5 week job. I kinda rolled my eyes, knowing how crazy the current climate is for builders. He did it in 7 from dig day to swim day. I was impressed, and he met or exceeded all of my expectations for quality and workmanship.

Reactions: TampaKathy
We signed our contract in July of 2021. Our pool builder at the time was warning us it was up to 6 months build time right now. He cited various factors from lack of supplies to lack of workers for the long build time. I hope that it's a pessimistic time frame, but I appreciate his honesty at least. I know that they have been swamped here in Central Texas, they didn't realize that the pandemic would lead to a surge in new pool sales. They were preparing for the opposite, but everybody around me is putting in pools!

My builder has a type A, perfectionist personality like myself. He takes very good care of his subcontractors, and they take care of him in return.

We signed Mach 18, 2021. Broke ground April 30. 2 weeks after permits were approved. We were swimming on June 17. Gunite, pebble finish, lots of concrete work. He originally said 5 week job. I kinda rolled my eyes, knowing how crazy the current climate is for builders. He did it in 7 from dig day to swim day. I was impressed, and he met or exceeded all of my expectations for quality and workmanship.
That is awesome and how it should be done. That's worth the extra dollars to go with someone like that!!

We signed our contract in July of 2021. Our pool builder at the time was warning us it was up to 6 months build time right now. He cited various factors from lack of supplies to lack of workers for the long build time. I hope that it's a pessimistic time frame, but I appreciate his honesty at least. I know that they have been swamped here in Central Texas, they didn't realize that the pandemic would lead to a surge in new pool sales. They were preparing for the opposite, but everybody around me is putting in pools!
My problem with that is taking on more business than they can handle. I get it is the oil boom, it's hot now and grab it, but that leads to very disappointed customers at minimum to shoddy work at the worst with inexperienced people or rushing to get done. Allah the residential construction boom in the 2000's. Resist the greed temptation and take on the work you know you an handle. Supply side issues are understandable but when materials are on hand show up and get the jobs done.

Reactions: Indeeph2o
My problem with that is taking on more business than they can handle. I get it is the oil boom, it's hot now and grab it, but that leads to very disappointed customers at minimum to shoddy work at the worst with inexperienced people or rushing to get done. Allah the residential construction boom in the 2000's. Resist the greed temptation and take on the work you know you an handle. Supply side issues are understandable but when materials are on hand show up and get the jobs done.
I get that. And for a while they had stopped taking on new work since it would be months before they could even start. But I'm ok with the current situation as long as they are telling me before I sign a contract that there are lots of delays involved right now.

Reactions: Wolfepack88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.