Pool Build - California Dreaming - 3 Years Closer

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

Here a few more pics of the raised bond beam and the framing of the outer coping ban on the raised spa area and stair risers which will be poured in the next couple weeks.

Also I wanted to see if anyone has experience with fiber optic illuminators. A couple of the Fiberstar illuminators I will be installing fall on top of the paved deck. I was wondering if these can be buried or put into a pit much like the laminars. I am concerned however that they will fail or be a risk if they become submerged during rain. Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3830.JPG
    IMG_3830.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 824
  • IMG_3831.JPG
    IMG_3831.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_3832.JPG
    IMG_3832.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 824

Tomorrow we finish the exterior coping band framing and expect to pour concrete next week. It will be the same color and edge detail as the pool coping. Once done, the pavers will be essentially framed in. We will also be finalizing the sunk in patio retaining wall and the columns on the raised bond beam where the gas fire bowls will be installed and the columns around the swim up bar. All will be surrounded by the same quartz stone and be capped with the same coping as the pool. I'll post pictures of the progress. Thanks again for your interest.

Some of the forum members have emailed me asking me cost of build. Including the pool, fiber optic lighting, equipment, pavers, side couryard, and 150 ft retaining wall, we will be coming well under $70K. Not too bad considering the pool itself was quoted near $100k by PB in the area. So far it has been an enjoyable experience. Time to build has been basically dictated by funding. If money guru Dave Ramsey knew what I was up to exhausting my savings, he'd whip my behind, LOL.

I'm going to tell you that from what I am seeing the 100K guy would have lost money (and you would have been left with an incomplete project). You are doing a great job, and I would venture to guess that that build would have run 150K or more, had you hired a competent builder in this area.

Thanks Simi for putting the monetary value of my build in context. I think today with steel, cement and other commodities skyrocketing lately, I was also lucky to have completed most phases 4 months ago.

I have had my share of challenges but nothing that makes me regret the owner builder path I took. The team of guys I currently have doing much of the finishing work have been very diligent reliable. I did just realize a smaller error on the sheer descents where the stone installers left no room for the fiber optic light bars under the lips of the waterfalls. A little chipping out of the ledge stone should resolve it however.

In any my case, the build is now getting very interesting. We are now past the principal structural phases and entering the finishing and hardscape phases. My biggest challenge now will be finding a good plumber for hookup and a good plasterer to apply the pool surface.

I have an excellent plumber who may be willing to travel (can't remember exactly how far up from me you are :oops: ), and I may be able to help on plaster as well. PM me if you would like me to talk to these folks and check.

Thanks much n8h ! I will be posting some more pictures today of the progress. The sunk-in patio behind the swim up bar is almost complete. I also raised the posts for the columns that will hold the future cantilevered roof over the swim up bar and side benches in the shallow end. The columns for the firebowls on either side of the steps leading to the raised spa area have been completed as well. The framing for the exterior band of coping is also finished. Within two weeks we will look to pour these as well as the caps to the columns and to the raised walls around the swim up bar and sunk-in patio. Cheers to the TFP community.

Here are some pics - long day today - hardscape almost done !!!

As you can see in the first and last picture we went ahead and spruced up the stairs leading to the raised spa by adding columns. We also added a small side rail/wall to each stairway. All will have poured caps to match the color and syle of the pool coping. This is where making your own foam liners at $.35/ft makes alot of sense.

In the second picture, you can now see the columns which will hold the weight of a cantilevered roof over the swim up bar area. It looks pretty very impressive in person. All that is missing is the pool house. :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_3851small.jpg
    IMG_3851small.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_3859small.jpg
    IMG_3859small.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_3858small.jpg
    IMG_3858small.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 644

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

A few more pictures.
The first shows that framing that was done around the pool. This will be a poured in place exterior coping that will mimic in color and design the pool coping. It will serve as a border to the pavers and keep them in place. At areas it rises about 10 inches above grade giving the whole pool area a very nice raised elegant look. I will be laying in rebar so that it is solid and does not shift/crack much.
The second picture is of the columns from another angle. The white pipe sticking up behind the second column is for feeding misters and possibly a rain waterfall by using an actuator. This will be added when the roof is in.
The third picture is the finished retaining wall of the swim up bar. The middle cut out is for the steps down. The interior will be raised one foot and will be pavers. Draining is done via a "sump pump in a box" made by Liberty which is a self contained unit that can be roughed in. A french drain was put in on the outside of the wall which will pour directly into the pumps basin and then be pumped out in a adjacent storm drain. A lot of steel was used on the wall since it will retain alot of soil and the lateral weight of pavers that will run to the side and face of it.

Attachments

• IMG_3857small.jpg
    IMG_3857small.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_3853small.jpg
    IMG_3853small.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_3854small.jpg
    IMG_3854small.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 642

It is now time for me to look into to setting up the equipment pad. My original plumber can't be reached and I need help now as I approach fill up stage.

I have most if not all of the equipment. I have 4 Intellitouch pumps (2xVSSVR, 1 VS and 1 VF) and 1 Whisperflo WFE6); a blower, 2 salt cells IC40, a large filter, a mastertemp heater. I am not sure how many valves I will need. I have 3 actuators. I have 3 Jandy Neverlube valves 3 way, 2 Jandy 2 way valves, 3 jandy energy filters, 3 sheer descents (2x24" and 1x48"). I have one spa with 12 jets. I have 2 skimmers, 8 returns, and one autoleveler. I have 2 bubblers and 4 water spouts and 2 deckjet. That's about it I guess.

As to electrical I will have the wire pulled to subpanel. I then need to feed power intellitouch system and hook up all automated controlled equipment, 5 pumps, blower, heater, 6 landscape lights, pool lights (4 intellibrites) and 2 power centers for chlorinator cells. I have 3 Fiberstar illuminators and 2 junctions boxes to wire. All wire has been pulled for the above except for lights.

Any input is most welcome.

I am looking to install glass tile at the waterline, spa, bar stools and some strips on the outer edges of the steps and benches. I would welcome any tips? Also would anyone recommend the use of a leveler and a fracture membrane such as the one below to avoid cracking of the tile? Others have mentioned expansion joints between tile and coping.

http://www.buildsite.com/query/detail/p ... d_membrane

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Well I started looking for the remaining equipment (automation, lights, chlorinator cells, power centers, laminars, spouts, etc.). Things were looking really expenssive until I found a source of discounted equipment on an ebay store. I was able to save about 30% off retail. I picked up Intellibrite Color Changing pool lights new for only $400 and Intelliflow pumps for $800 or less. They have some really nice pool cleaners as well.

So it looks like I am all set for the plumber and electrician. I now have 5 intelliflo pumps, 4 LED Color lights, Intellitouch i9+3, Remote Spa Control i10, and all ancillary equipment. The only thing I am not sure about is how many valves, actuators and other items which I will rely on the plumber to advise on.

BTW - I installed ledge stone on 3 of the 8 pillars, 5 to go; its alot of work to finish a pool, especially a large one. The raised bond beam is done and the waterfalls are installed. The rest of the coping, column caps, stair risers, etc, all in all 12 yards more of colored concrete will be poured next week. Then we move on with the deck bonding inspection and start laying the pavers. 2 months and ten grand more and hopefully we're swimming.

I just started to look into the gas fire bowls that will sit on the extremes of the rasied spa area of the pool. Holy Cow!!! These are really expensive. Somewhere I missed the warning label: "Add fire features at your own risk; may cause economic shock or fiscal death!"

I have looked at the stuff from Grand Effects and others and have come to the conclusion I mave to go the DYI route. I feel it may be more cost effective to buy the parts and pay someone more qualified to assemble. I found a concrete caster here in Riverside and now have a source for concrete bowls. These can be stained just like concrete floors to look like copper or bronze. The good part is that a 30" "stained" pedestal bowl runs about $80. For the fire pit that will sit in the middle of the ound patio behind the spa I found the bottom tier of a large fountain (bowl shaped) that can be stained and delivered to match the bowls. It would be delivered by crane and cost $400 stained. This would give me a 4 foot diameter firepit. Since it was a waterfall bottom it already has the hole to feed gas line and allow for draining. This may be a whole other thread - but I invite others to share their experience if they built their own fire pit.

Looking into firebowl/firepit parts, I found that the cheapest 18" burner ring insert with remote automated lighting by itself is $1400. For two bowls that's a whopping $2800 just for the ignition and gas delivery. For the firepit it goes up to $3400. Wowza.

By researching online and looking into the various components used in their manufacture, I found that Honeywell makes a Smart Valve with a built in gas valve control and pilot sequencer and flame sensor in one package. This can be bought for about $110 online and can be connected by wire to a remote control at the intellitouch panel. In this case, once can push a button on a remote control and turn the fire on or off. Pretty cool.

The pilot is by way of a hot surface ignitor which I understand works best in inclement weather and cost $40. A stainless steel ring burner runs about $70 for 18" and $340 for 48". A 24" burner pan which is also made of stainless steel at a specialty fire pit store runs $180. I thought to myself, "why can't I just use a large stainless pan made out of the same material for $35 and have my machine shop cut a couple holes?"

If I plan it out correctly (and don't blow myself up in the process) by doing it myself, and hiring someone to assemble and test, it appears I could safely build two 30" firebowls and one 48" fire pit for a total of $2000 including plumber costs versus $8000++. Sounds like I have me a Spring project.

Any thoughts....

Hi Spillmar,

I'm looking at installing a firebowl next to my pool as well. You've posted some good info.
I have a fabricator friend who sent me to the website of a company who makes "heads".
These are the end caps that go on things like propane tanks, etc. They come in all shapes and sizes which
you can specify. I want a fire on top of water effect - a bowl within a bowl if you will.
So I'm not sure concrete would work for me - I'd have to have a very special mold with a lip, and waterproof the outer bowl
somehow. $80 sounds like a heck of a deal though.

The igniter assembly you mentioned sounds like a good way to go.

Great looking pool design - can't wait to see it with water in it!

Thanks,

Slade

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.