Atlanta, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
I have a question about bonding an in ground pool. We just had our existing old concrete pool deck ripped out and realized it wasn’t properly bonded. I’ve run a 6 gauge copper wire around the whole pool and attached to multiple pieces of Rebar in the wall as well as the pool light. My question is does the wire need to be buried in the dirt a little bit or sitting on top so that it will be incased in the new concrete? It’s 6 gauge so it’s thick and doesn’t lay flat everywhere and kind of hovers above the dirt in areas but will be fully engulfed once concrete is poured. Just want to make sure the wire is touching what it needs to be touching, concrete, dirt or both??

As long as it makes contact with everything metal within 5’ of your pool including all fixtures enclosures and equipment as well a 4 points of contact to the wall and as long as it is connected using approved methods to your concrete reinforcement you should be good. The wire is fine on the dirt with the concrete on top of it. I believe by code it should be approximately 5” from the surface (someone can correct me, I’m too lazy to look it up)

In NJ it has to be 4-6” beneath the ground. Call your inspector and ask them to make sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.