Pool accessory holder and poolside garbages

boojew

Jun 16, 2020
Montreal, QC
Hey guys - pretty random questions.. but interested to hear what everyone thinks.
1. We have a chain link fence surrounding the perimeter of the house with slats and glass fence around the pool. I’ve noticed there are no real fence hooks or anything else that are sold to hold pool hoses. I could store that in a bin or in my shed, but I’m already short on storage space - so was hoping to use the fence. I already custom 3D printed some brackets for the pole. Might do the same for the hose, but I wanted to see if there was something I was missing.

2. What are you guys doing for garbage cans around the pool? Seems like a dumb question - but most of what I see online is super ugly.

thanks!

1. I keep my vacuum hose outside as well, but behind some lattice for shade because the Texas sun is brutal and would tear it up in one season. The hose is hanging in a big loop from two extra shelf brackets I had laying around. Speaking of chain link, I used a similar bracket on some chain link to hold a garden hose on my property. I just used a piece of wood on the backside to attach to it. It's out by itself on the property so it didn't have to be cosmetically perfect.

2. As for trash, I don't keep any trash cans at the pool. I do have a large trash can on my patio where I BBQ and such, but it's separated by about 50 ft from the pool.

Reactions: boojew
I can't help with hoses as I don't store anything like that around but I do have some hooks for my net and brush on our wood privacy fence. not sure if that is what you are looking for. I'm also looking for a trash can for my skimmer trash. ours is in a super ugly metal can right now.

They DO make hose hooks .. I have one.

And for poles and tools:

I have both of these, and both are decent for the price.

I already custom 3D printed some brackets for the pole
I used the door hangers that you would get to hang a Xmas wreath on your front door. They worked perfect. There are many styles available but here is the idea.
2. As for trash, I don't keep any trash cans at the pool
suncast makes both small bench/storage boxes and garbage cans that have a wicker look to them to jazz them up a bit and many of us here can attest they hold up excellent to the elements.

Ooooooh. And bigger deck boxes too for the hoses / pool noodles / etc

Reactions: Jmerges and boojew
I used the door hangers that you would get to hang a Xmas wreath on your front door. They worked perfect. There are many styles available but here is the idea.

suncast makes both small bench/storage boxes and garbage cans that have a wicker look to them to jazz them up a bit and many of us here can attest they hold up excellent to the elements.

Ooooooh. And bigger deck boxes too for the hoses / pool noodles / etc
Yea I just had the same thought about a door hanger, but turns out the one I got is too small for the hose. I should have measured first. Lol.

thanks for all the feedback guys. Some of this stuff is hard to come by in Canada… probably hard to come by anywhere I guess.

Reactions: Newdude
I have a deck so i have hooks mounted underneath for my poles.
I have only used the manual vac a couple times since i got my big girl pool & not once this year thanks to Robert the robot so the hose stays in the she shed.
As for a garbage can ours is on the patio adjacent to the pool area (this way wind can’t blow garbage into the pool) & its just my old kitchen one however I aspire one day to have one of the suncast outdoor ones that matches my patio furniture 🤩

I try to keep nothing outside because the Florida sun is killer. I pull skimmer hairnet out and bag it in a plastic grocery bag when I’m cleaning up after the dogs, and take it out to big city garbage can.

My robot, brush, net, floats, etc. are all parked inside an open mud room outside my back door. I am contemplating making a rack for the floats and such, rather than their current pile!

I have always wanted to have a garbage can outdoor by the pool or the outdoor kitchen. I just have not found anything that would survive in Florida and look attractive. Also I would need to remember to empty the trash every time I used it or it would really stink in the Florida heat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For those of you that have a deck box do you find that some items that are stored get messed up from being inside of it? Do you keep your stuff in there when it’s not pool season? Are there items that shouldn’t be stored in the box that I’m unaware of?
I have a dark brown one and we keep it next to the pool. It isn’t cover and doesn’t get much shade. I’ve noticed the plastic and lens on the new goggles seem worn. Most of the ones from last year were dry rotted and for the ones that aren’t have changed colors and the lens get foggy almost immediately. I don’t know if everyone has these issues or just me. I live in New Orleans so it is pretty sunny and hot here too.
I’ve thought about painting the lid a light color to reflect light but I don’t know if I want to tackle that at the moment!

For those of you that have a deck box do you find that some items that are stored get messed up from being inside of it?
Many years to report mold/mildew free. Paper towels stay dry and regular towels come out smelling like they were on the clothesline. I use one of my big ones for my vacuum, hose, brushes, etc and they go back in soaked everytime. No smells no nothing. My other big one has all the pool toys/noodles and they always went back in soaked also with no issues.

I did dry out the life vests first because they were expensive compared to the toys and whatnot.

Sometimes the sun cast garbage can would stay mostly full for weeks without smells as well, even with food after a party. I can’t promise that one down in your heat, but it does get plenty hot here in August though.
Do you keep your stuff in there when it’s not pool season?
Yup. They store the stuff perfect all winter. The little boxes went to my garage and the big boxes stayed right where they were

Many years to report mold/mildew free. Paper towels stay dry and regular towels come out smelling like they were on the clothesline. I use one of my big ones for my vacuum, hose, brushes, etc and they go back in soaked everytime. No smells no nothing. My other big one has all the pool toys/noodles and they always went back in soaked also with no issues.

I did dry out the life vests first because they were expensive compared to the toys and whatnot.

Sometimes the sun cast garbage can would stay mostly full for weeks without smells as well, even with food after a party. I can’t promise that one down in your heat, but it does get plenty hot here in August though.

Yup. They store the stuff perfect all winter. The little boxes went to my garage and the big boxes stayed right where they were
Is yours in direct sunlight?
I have one under the patio that stores my sons toys and I don’t have the same issue. I wasn’t thinking about that when I asked. But after reading your reply I was thinking of how none of the stuff in his box has issues. Maybe it’s just too much heat in its current location. I’ll have to look at the manufactures site and see if I overlooked any info on storing it properly… thank you @Newdude
;)

Reactions: Newdude
All out in the sun mostly with some shade for an hour or two at times. The first year I stored all the towels in the one in the garage for the winter out of laziness. When I brought it out that spring they still smelled clothesline fresh after months of no sun and each subsequent year I did it because it worked awesome. :)

Ours have been great storage boxes, but all are protected by shade. The large one is by our pool equipment and stores everything from larger toys to tools to salt. We have 2 small boxes that store towels and goggles and also serve as tables for the lounge chairs. Towels remain in them year round and are fresh when opening up for that first swim of the season.

Reactions: Natnem
So worth noting, NY sun, and southern sun is very different. I have a couple of keter boxes that are in direct Florida sun for only half the day, but they are already deteriorating to the point that they will need to be replaced soon. The one that is in the shade is doing quite well.

Also southern humidity is again very different, as is way more.

I have hooks screwed into our block wall fence for poles & brushes and stuff but they would have hooked over a normal fence lol we bought a smallish shed this year so my robot has been hanging out in there

we have 2 big deck boxes that are on the side of the house full sun most days & our heat, I keep my MA in one & random pool tools, parts and junk in the other all my family's goggles go in the shed in the hanging baskets

we have an ugly trash can at the end of the patio cuz it came with the house so I use it

We also have a pvc rack thing for floats & towels and last year it kept coming apart in the sun & heat here so my husband got annoyed and used pvc glue on it 😂😂 holding up so far this year

Also southern humidity is again very different, as is way more.
I’ll concede on the extreme extended heat, although we do get just as bad at times, but not for as long. The humidity on the other hand is through the roof here. CA6FA325-7225-42FE-8400-3556B612E173.jpeg
3 massive bodies of water no further than 5 or so miles at any given location. It’s not what people think about when they think NY, but here is as bad as anywhere for humidity and things in the yard will be soaked at times with no rain for weeks. :)

I’ll concede on the extreme extended heat, although we do get just as bad at times, but not for as long. The humidity on the other hand is through the roof here. View attachment 346495
3 massive bodies of water no further than 5 or so miles at any given location. It’s not what people think about when they think NY, but here is as bad as anywhere for humidity and things in the yard will be soaked at times with no rain for weeks. :)
Don't feel bad all we ever hear is "but it's a dry heat!!" Let me tell you at 120 it doesn't matter lol

I am in Charleston, SC with high heat and humidity and have a trash can similar to this Bedding, Bath Towels, Cookware, Fine China, Wedding & GiftRegistry | Bed Bath & Beyond that I drilled holes in the bottom to empty the skimmer baskets in. It has been outside for 8 years and still going strong. We have our main trash and recycle bins out of sight, but near the pool. We also have a deck box that has been outside continuously for at least 15 years and items inside do not get moldy/mildew.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.