Pollen, algae, or mold - white translucent "flakes" on pool surface

bigrig

Jan 12, 2022
Philly Burbs
Hi, all,

I have a new inground pool (finished/filled late November 2022, winterized mid-December, and re-opened April 17) and am curious what the flakes showing up on the surface of my pool in the last couple of days are. (Pics attached)

Water has been pretty steady at levels below and has been clear, just fighting the pH a bit but that has settled down significantly since we opened it a month ago. The water is still very clear, but I'm noticing these flakes on top of the water the last couple of days.

The pool company hasn't added salt yet (included as part of the build but it was too cold when they finished the pool) so the SWG is on but has no added salt running through it other than what is naturally in the water, so seems unlikely to be caused by the SWG.

Thanks!

Recent test results:

pH 7.5
TA 80
FC 3.5
CH 350
CYA 30
SALT 500

Attachments

• IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2029.jpeg
    IMG_2029.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 24
The floating stuff is just pollen. I have a ton in my pool as well. It will end in a couple weeks. Just manually skim with the net to keep as much out of the filter as you can.

Turn your SWG to 0% or off without any salt added. And, make sure the SWG is off or set to 0% when you have salt added. Also, before adding any salt, do a salt test with the K-1766 salt test. You might be surprised at the current slat level. You don't want to overshoot your salt level, because only draining some will lower the salt level. Newly salted pools could damage the SWG if it is on and piece of salt or a high concentration of salt passes through the SWG. Let it circulate for 24-48 hours and then test the salt level. Once you test for salt and are within the cell's range, then you can turn it on and start making Chlorine.

Happy swimming and enjoy your new pool!!

Reactions: bigrig
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.