Poles Sinking

C-Lo

Jun 25, 2020
Orlando, FL
Hello. We recently purchased an Intex 15ft x 48in Prism Metal Frame above ground pool. We had a landscaper come and clear the area, level it and build our pool. The area seemed pretty level until we got a lot of rain. That’s when we noticed some of our poles sinking and the water level was uneven. So I went around and used a level to see what areas were out of line and I believe 2-3 were really off. Then I took the highest water level area and the lowest and compared them and it’s about 1.5 inches off. And I noticed that when my husband went to swim in it the pool wobbled more. I’m concerned that it’s going to buckle and collapse! We considered emptying it and putting concrete pavers under some or all of them but not sure if that is safe or necessary. What do you suggest? And why is it wobbling?

Attachments

• B443676B-B5F4-4041-BBB0-7A3A906B542A.jpeg
    B443676B-B5F4-4041-BBB0-7A3A906B542A.jpeg
    561 KB · Views: 41
  • 9ED4B92A-E718-43A2-9987-5CC37CE1B4B3.jpeg
    9ED4B92A-E718-43A2-9987-5CC37CE1B4B3.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 69C3D5D9-0C48-4F50-83F0-3D75250F0CE5.jpeg
    69C3D5D9-0C48-4F50-83F0-3D75250F0CE5.jpeg
    736.3 KB · Views: 43
I would definitely drain it and put pavers under every single post. The pool doesn't look that bad. Just put the pavers in. I've heard of people cutting pool noodles n putting them close to the liner where the pavers are too to help prevent the liner from rubbing. If you want to do it right though... you should sink the pavers level.

Reactions: C-Lo
I would definitely drain it and put pavers under every single post. The pool doesn't look that bad. Just put the pavers in. I've heard of people cutting pool noodles n putting them close to the liner where the pavers are too to help prevent the liner from rubbing. If you want to do it right though... you should sink the pavers level.
Thank you for your response. Will the legs come off the pavers? And I’ve heard that the pavers could crack and sink as well. Is this true? And can you please explain what it means to sink them. Also do you know why it shakes/wobbles while someone is swimming in it. Thanks again!

You should try to replace that leg. It's really not safe as it is.

You need at least 4" concrete blocks under those legs, not pavers. A lot of people with these rectangular AGP pools use 2x8 or 2x12 ground contact pressure treated lumber under the legs because pavers will crack.

Sinking pavers means digging them into the ground so they're level with each other. I don't believe you need to do that with wood blocks.

These pools are built to move under the pressure of the water moving. Otherwise, if they were rigid, the supports would break. Moving and flexing is perfect normal.

You should try to replace that leg. It's really not safe as it is.

You need at least 4" concrete blocks under those legs, not pavers. A lot of people with these rectangular AGP pools use 2x8 or 2x12 ground contact pressure treated lumber under the legs because pavers will crack.

Sinking pavers means digging them into the ground so they're level with each other. I don't believe you need to do that with wood blocks.

These pools are built to move under the pressure of the water moving. Otherwise, if they were rigid, the supports would break. Moving and flexing is perfect normal.
Ok thanks! Should I use the concrete block or treated wood? And what keeps the leg from slipping off or the piece under it from sinking like they are doing now? Thank you!

The big concrete block or the wood blocks generate enough friction from the weight of the water that the legs won't slip. Also, the leg straps on the pool keep them from going anywhere.

They might sink a little, but the compressed earth under them will keep the blocks from sinking all the way.

Oh wow ok very helpful. So glad I asked! Would you mind sending me a picture or link of the concrete you would recommend to put under the poles. Thanks again for all your help! I’m not that handy but gotta start somewhere I guess. 😏

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had a 16' Round.. the pavers are fine for the round pools, the force of weight is different (more outward hence the strap) than actual down force.. our pavers lasted3 years til we took down the pool..

BE SURE IT IS COMPACTED DIRT... you go making the soil loose and giving the pavers a chance to shift or tweak.. then yes they will break

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.