Polaris pb4 booster pump shutting off

Fergsfallin

Jul 23, 2019
Ledbetter Texas
I recently got my pool up and going after 7 plus years of sitting. We just bought the place last summer so wasn’t sure about the condition of the pool system.

Other than needing to be cleaned out and and seals replace, it all worked perfectly except for the booster pump. It will run for a few minutes then shuts off. I’ve never had a pool before but the pumps seems to be making a higher pitch noise than the main pump.

I would really like to avoid having to buy a new pump but not sure if it can be fixed or how to fix it. It’s a Polaris pb4. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like the motor bearings are shot.

Options:

1) Replace motor bearings. You will need a puller and press.
2) Replace the motor
3) Replace Pump
4) Get yourself a robot cleaner which will do a much better job and more than pay for itself in energy savings.

Reactions: Fergsfallin
Weeeeellll.,, everyone is over budget. ;) That is why they call it a pool! So here are your options as I see it.

-Run the motor until it dies, maybe it will make to the end of the season and then you can put the cost on your next years expenses (that is what I did)
-After it dies.. sweep by hand... PIA, but if you have kids it gives them something to do. Cheap slave labor (that is what I did when I grew up.. we had no sweep.. wait... I WAS the sweep!)
-new motor is around $200 plus another $30 for a seal kit.. (per PoolSupplyWorld, I bought mine last year, wasn't even thinking of a Robot)
-look on the used market for a motor or booster pump... Ebay or Craigslist. There seems to be a glut of them out there since everyone is upgrading to Robots and now have a pump sitting around gathering dust
-The cheapest robots are around $700 that I have seen.. but I haven't looked lately

Happy hunting!

Reactions: Fergsfallin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.