Polaris P955/9550 or Dolphin Supreme M5 ?

Jan 13, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Hi,

Anybody have experience with the Polaris P955/9550 and the Dolphin supreme M5 (or other Supreme model) that could recommend which one they think is best?

Looking in to everything so far, it seems like the Dolphin would have less problems with cords, but cleaning the filters looks to be more a hassle. The Polaris looks like nice big storage area for large debris and easier to clean filter?

TIA!!

I have the 9550 sport and really like it. It is very easy to clean and does have a very large basket. I purchased the optional "fine" basket because I had a lot of red clay silt in my pool after the install. It got that out well. During the season I was running 2 - 3 times/week depending upon what was blowing into the pool. My pool is 16x38 from 3.5' - 8' and it does a great job. Takes about 1:45 to run a complete "intense" cycle. Can program for regular or intense cleaning, for side-only, bottom-only, or sides+bottom, for rectangular or free form pools. I like that you can direct it to climb the wall where you are standing to remove when completed.

Yes, the cord can get a little tangled when removing, but this is minor to me. I found if I extract the cord from the pool at the end that attaches to the controller, and wind up, it will extract without an issue 8 out of 10 times. Even if there is a bit of tangling, I just hang on the caddie. When I toss into the pool, even if a little tangling, it has never affected the cleaning of my pool. Maybe with a larger pool it may.

I would give mine a 4.5 out of 5 rating because of the cord. For cleaning I would give it a 5 out of 5 rating. I would buy it again.

Note - that with any robot, it can greatly reduce the amount of work you do, but does not eliminate it. Robots can clean up to the water line. So you will need to sweep your top stairs.

I have the Polaris 9450 (the one without the remote). The cord does get twisted while in the pool but in my 40ft by 16ft pool it has never been a problem! There is 60ft of cord and it can reach to both ends and across with no problem. It is a great cleaning tool, I have large oak leaves and acorns dropping now and it is sucking everything up off the bottom. It came with the general purpose catch basket and I always see fine particles caught in the basket. The basket is easy to clean and the robot is easy to learn. I would purchase again.

I had a Dolphin Dynamic for about 15 years. Worked great, it was a bottom loader that used a fine micron cloth bag. After it was done cleaning, we turned the bag inside out, sprayed out all the icky stuff, and then washed it on delicate in the washing machine and hung it up to dry. It always did a great job of cleaning. Never needed service in all those years. The end of the season last year while cleaning the corners of the water line, it would get stuck. I had to get out my joy stick remote to bring him down from the corners. I tried moving the weights around on the top handle at the suggestion of Maytronics, but it did no good. Then this spring, the day we opened, Donnie died. I think the motor wore out or the tracks needed replacing. We definitely weren't going to spend money on replacing a 15 year old machine.

I just assumed we'd get another Dolphin but it seems like robots, no matter the brand, just don't last like they used to. I demoed a Dolphin Active 30i over a weekend. It worked ok but whereas I only had to run my old Dynamic for one session, I had to run the Dolphin 2 or 3 times as long to get near the same job. I did like the basket very much and it was easy to use, except one problem. I found the app to be buggy and the reviews of the MyDolphin Plus app weren't very good and it seemed like Maytronics wasn't doing anything about it. From reading it seems the S200 or Active 20 would be the one to get since no app to have to play with. This was my experience anyway.

A lot of people had really good experiences with Marina Spa and Pool so I gave them a call. They were super nice, good prices, and knew their merchandise, but my problem was there was no service center close by me for Maytronics, which meant in the future if I had a problem I would have to pack the Dolphin up, and send it to Maytronics at our expense.

So......I happened to come across a great price on a Polaris 9550 and a local place I could take it to if it ever needed service. We also have a friend who has one and has been very happy with it. We've only had it for 2 weeks but so far I'm really impressed. I like the large size basket because we get a ton of leaves later in our season. It also works great on pollen and dust which helps since we live on a dirt road. The 9550 I got has the newer cord with the swivel and I haven't had any problems with it tangling. It has a nice caddy, and a remote if you wanted to guide it, and the basket is very easy to clean.

Now if it only lasts as long as Donnie the Dolphin did, I'll be thrilled.

Meet Paulie:

Paulie cleaning.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.