Polaris 280 backup valve issues

Thank you for your help. The thing is, there are so many Parts to Replace & if the Polari has an issue, it could be 10 different parts to try & replace.
As much as I have learned & got to know my Polaris, I don't feel comfortable taking the entire unit apart. It works right now & is picking up dirt, but it lost it's vigor.
You could be right & it certainly can be the drive belts. I'll look into that & see, Thanks.

The restrictor plate reduces flow, maybe you need less restriction than the blue disc. You could try reducing the reduction by drilling out the disc to a larger hole size.

My 380 leaks at the pressure relief valve always with or without a restrictor.

Also my understanding is that the manual is right, aiming the jet up at 10 o'clock makes the unit climb, aiming down does the opposite supposedly.

Sent via Tapatalk...

I started out with No Restricter Plate. That's the way it was & it ran perfectly, even with Leakage through the PRV.
The only reason I added the Restricter Plate was when I started having problems, to see if it would help.
As far as Thrust Adjustment goes. Woman on phone said point it to 12 O' Clock Position to keep it down, 6 O'Clock Position to keep it running higher on walls. I had already tried the Instruction in Manual & had it pointing to 6 O'Clock position & it was climbing walls. That's why I called in the 1st place. I now have it pointed upwards at 12 O'clock & it stays on bottom. The woman on phone said, the Manual must be wrong. If your saying the Manual is correct, now I'm totally puzzled.

dino1956 said:
As far as Thrust Adjustment goes. Woman on phone said point it to 12 O' Clock Position to keep it down, 6 O'Clock Position to keep it running higher on walls. I had already tried the Instruction in Manual & had it pointing to 6 O'Clock position & it was climbing walls. That's why I called in the 1st place. I now have it pointed upwards at 12 O'clock & it stays on bottom. The woman on phone said, the Manual must be wrong. If your saying the Manual is correct, now I'm totally puzzled.

Me too. The jet pointing up should cause it to tilt up easily on walls and vice versa. My experience however is that the 2 and 10 or 1 and 11 positions work best for my pool and I have good climbing but not excessive climbing. I'm sorry if I confused you.

What type of wall to floor junction do you have?

Sent via Tapatalk...

Polaris has a lot of problems with the relief valve. The wheels on my new 280 would only turn about 15 RPM and the problem was that the relief valve was leaking by so bad that not enough water was getting to the unit. I called Polaris and they sent a new relief valve but it leaked as bad as the first. Polaris sent a second valve and it also leaked as bad as the first two. Finally I gave up and just replaced the valve with a plug and have had no more problems.

Mine is two years old and I had to replace one of ball bearing swivel joints that was leaking pretty bad. I didn't notice that the swivel has a flow arrow and installed it backwards. It ran like that for several months, but ran much slower and the tail didn't move back and forth like it should. I almost replaced the pump impeller because I thought it might have problems. I discovered my error my accident and when I reversed the swivel the thing ran like new.

I've also had problems with the back-up valve. The shaft that the gears are on is held in place by a tiny "E" clip. That clip came off and the valve became very erratic. Sometimes it worked okay other times it would not work at all and sometimes it would not shut off. I was ready to replace the valve when I decided to take it apart and see if I could find anything wrong. It took me awhile to realize what was wrong and then I found the loose "E" clip in the bottom of the housing. So I reinstalled it and added a drop of super glue. That was about a year ago and so far it has worked like it should.

Some great help.Thanks. How did you replace Pressure Release Valve with a Plug? What sort of Plug?
My Hose Swivels are all in right direction, arrows pointing to Polaris. But 2 of them are leaking. Same 2 I just replaced last year.
I have taken the Backup Valve off to see if that would help. It did not. Still Slow & Gets Hung Up on Steps & Ladders.

If you put your hand around the relief valve you can feel if it is leaking - it should not leak at all unless you have very high discharge pressure. I can't remember what polaris told me about how much pressure was required to lift the valve, but mine was under that and the valve was leaking like crazy. The plug is a 1" screwed PVC plug that you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot. Just unscrew the valve and put the plug in its' place. If your swivels are leaking it will cause the 280 to run slow. I would replace them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yea mine is definitely & has ALWAYS been leaking, Just put a new one on. Leaks.
It's strange because some people say the Swivels & the PRV are suppose to leak a little.
I never understood that. Polaris Reps say, they Should not leak at all.
Guess I'll try The Plug & getting another 2 new Hose Swivels. But I would think the hose swivels would last more than a year. Thanks for the Info.

dino1956 said:
UnderWaterVanya, that is what I mean. I keep buying Parts for no good Reason.
It has to be something not very obvious or extremely obvious that I am overlooking.
To be fair I have the 380 which is supposedly more trouble...

Sent via Tapatalk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.