Plumbing question on air intake at spa

Foosman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Austin, TX
My previous plumber brought up a 1.5" PVC pipe which is shown in the picture with a cap on it. This is the air intake for the spa. We are not using an air blower motor. The new plumber brought out the air intake valves shown in the picture and is telling me these require a 1" PVC pipe be glued to the end. Basically the end of the air intake valve has a 1" slip. He is telling me we need to remove the travertine, chip down and install a 1.5" to 1" reducer. I've notice the air intake valve also has threads. Any suggestions? The original plumber was thinking something, so there must be a way to install a air intake valve/cover onto an existing 1.5" PVC stub. Help!

Attachments

• IMG_3775.jpg
    IMG_3775.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 53
Do you ever plan to turn the air off completely?

Maybe you could use an internal bushing down to the size you need and install or glue the fitting inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a big deal if we can't shut it completely off; however, the air intake valve is actually threaded down the middle as well which controls the amount of air coming in. I'll take another photo in a bit. The outside threads are too large to fit inside a 1.5" pipe, but I think they make a smaller version for 3/4" pipe. I'm just thinking there must be something designed to go inside a 1.5" pipe as this plumber has been doing this a long time.

Not a big deal if we can't shut it completely off; however, the air intake valve is actually threaded down the middle as well which controls the amount of air coming in. I'll take another photo in a bit. The outside threads are too large to fit inside a 1.5" pipe, but I think they make a smaller version for 3/4" pipe. I'm just thinking there must be something designed to go inside a 1.5" pipe as this plumber has been doing this a long time.

I bet you are right. I can't imagine there not being an internally threaded coupler to a smaller control valve.

Attached picture is a break down of what they brought out. It's a hydro-air 10-2100. The issue is there is no way to fit the body (denoted as 30-2103) into the 1.5" PVC pipe stub the plumber left. I'm being told you toss the nut and the bottom of the body (30-2103) gets glued to a 1" PVC pipe. I find this really hard to believe, because it would require a 1" PVC stub to be set at almost the exact correct height prior to the coping going over it. These seem to be designed for bottom access installations and not from above like on a gunite spa. Now, I can dremel down the threads on the outside of the body and make this fit or try the version that has a 1/2" fitting...slap some caulk on it and slide the sucker in, but I'm pretty sure over time it will leak and pull air from around the lip of the body. There must be a air control assembly designed for top mount installations.

10-2100.gif
I bet you are right. I can't imagine there not being an internally threaded coupler to a smaller control valve.

Took some work, but I think I have solved my problem. In case someone comes across this in the future. There are 2 air intake valves I've found that are designed to slip inside a 1.5" pipe. The plumber was close when he picked up the Hydro-air 10-2100 also known as CMP 25098. This is the 1" version. The 1/2" version (1/2" slip on bottom) also fits inside a 1.5" pipe and is what I need. I've attached the CMP page, third bullet under features "fits inside 1.5" pipe". So the correct version is: Hydro-air 10-2200 / CMP 25099. I also found a Waterway 660-3400. Thanks for your input Ramdough.

25099.JPG

Attached picture is a break down of what they brought out. It's a hydro-air 10-2100. The issue is there is no way to fit the body (denoted as 30-2103) into the 1.5" PVC pipe stub the plumber left. I'm being told you toss the nut and the bottom of the body (30-2103) gets glued to a 1" PVC pipe. I find this really hard to believe, because it would require a 1" PVC stub to be set at almost the exact correct height prior to the coping going over it. These seem to be designed for bottom access installations and not from above like on a gunite spa. Now, I can dremel down the threads on the outside of the body and make this fit or try the version that has a 1/2" fitting...slap some caulk on it and slide the sucker in, but I'm pretty sure over time it will leak and pull air from around the lip of the body. There must be a air control assembly designed for top mount installations.

View attachment 60030

That looks like it is for a fiberglass spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.